No announcement yet.

Removing Broken Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're using an EZ out you're already having a bad day. Don't make it worse by breaking off the ez out. Left handed drills are great, I hear the welding on a nut trick is great, but I say stop and take a breather. Not long ago I broke the heads off 2 of 3 bolts removing an air brake pedal. After removing the treadle I soaked the bolts with PB blaster, the repair got put on the back burner. When I got back to it 2 months later, one tap of the hammer on each and I unscrewed the broken bolts with only my fingers, the boss and my coworkers still don't believe me but it's the truth.

Comment

Anyone tried the Loctite freeze spray for this job? I've used it to help with shrink fitting shaft couplings in situ, never used it for its intended purpose.

Tim

Comment

slightly off topic

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
        I have over the years blown out literally hundreds of broken studs in cast iron manifolds using a acet/oxy torch, sometimes sacrificing the first couple of threads (sometimes not) but after that they are ok.
        There is learned technique to it but it is easily done.
        I've used a similar technique on exhaust systems to get the stub from a muffler or pipe out of the inside of another pipe. In this case putting the heat of the flame along the length of the pipe. The rust/corrosion between pipes is somewhat of an insulator and if done right keeps the outer piece from getting hot enough to melt.

I suspect there is some of that happening with the steel studs in the casting. I imagine the back spatter in your face must be something though...

Comment

"I have over the years blown out literally hundreds of broken studs in cast iron manifolds using a acet/oxy torch, sometimes sacrificing the first couple of threads (sometimes not)"

Now that is impressive to me! Maybe all the rest of you are good with an o/a torch but i've only used one, maybe 10 times. I can't manage those awsome smooth cuts and delicate stuff you all can. I think thats really cool!
          The oxy-acetylene approach is my preferred method when the stud is obviously stuck, solidly.

The less drastic tricks should be used first, such as left-hand drill, slotting with a Dremel cut-off wheel, etc.

The trick to the oxy-acetylene method is to work fast. If the stud is stuck in cast-iron, speed isn't quite so important. In steel, work fast in order to keep the base material from reaching ignition temperature.

I've never tried burning a stud out of aluminum. IMHO, the risk of failure is too high. In such a case I'll drill the stud considerably under-sized, then carefully open up the hold with a carbide burr to the point where the threads are visible all the way around.

At that point the remainder of the stud can be picked out with a scribe.

Regards,

Orrin
          So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Working...
          X