Bought old Walker Turner belt/disc sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought old Walker Turner belt/disc sander

Bought it at auction for $55. It looked good and was on a nice base with rollers. Got it home, motor was shot from metal dust inside. Cleaned it up and removed motor and I had one to put on it. It has a nice strudy 10" disc and adjustable table. Started looking over real good and found a part missing so I made the part. Then found bad bearings in the idler roller. Special size bearing no longer available. Got some for $60 that fit roller and made new shaft for idler. Found out it uses a weird length belt. It is 4" wide and will adjust from 50 1/2" to 52 3/4". Found a 4"x52 1/2" belt in MSC, will do more searching. This cheap sturdy buy is turning into a serious project. I built a 6x48 belt sander years ago for my brother-in-law and made a full set of parts for me but never put them together. Maybe I should have, then I wouldn't have bought this project. I should have known it looked to good to be a good buy. If it gets any worse I will convert it into a 6x48. When I can't get belts anymore 6x48 will be it's configuration, maybe sooner.
    Last edited by Carld; 08-31-2006, 02:31 AM.
    It's only ink and paper

Odd length/width sanding belts are not a big problem. Google on "custom sanding belts" or various combinations of those terms. You'll find a bunch of companies making special sized belts. These companies are generally called "converters".

The good news is custom belts are generally less expensive than a stock on-the-shelf size, as long as you buy a minimum quantity.

A company I used to buy alot of belts from is Jet Abrasives in LA (aka Western Abrasives). I don't believe Jet sells direct. Call them and find a local dealer and order through the dealer. (this "Jet" is not related to Jet tools).

Most converters are independent, they aren't locked into any one abrasive supplier. If you have a difficult sanding problem call them and ask what abrasive they have that'd be best for your application.

Comment

The bigger, the better. Now is the time to make the big guy!

Comment

I just found a site called abrasivesales.com and they sell custom sizes. I emailed to find if I can mix grits in the minumum 12 pack order and shipping, etc. This may not be so bad after all and they are cheaper than MSC prices like you said.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
        X