Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I thought I bought a Bridgeport

On Sunday, I looked at a mill and asked if it was reasonably priced

On Wednesday, I made an offer over the phone for cash, which was accepted. I offered to drop off a check for the amount to hold it until I gotthe cash, but he said ot wasn't necessary.

Today, I took some time off work to get the cash, then called the seller after work to arrange for a meeting time. He told me he didn't have the mill anymore, since someone had come by with more money and a trailer that morning. He stated that since I hadn't called or shown up that morning, he broke the deal. He made no attempt to inform me that someone else wanted it.

That, of course, leaves me somewhat ticked.

The sellers name is Dennis Needham, and the phone number in the ad (713)973-**** is traced to 90** Emnora Ln, Houston, Tx His shop is located at 1201a Uptown Park, Houston, Tx 77043, although he said he was selling some of the equipment and moving. His cell number is (832)659-****.
    (Edited to remove certain information after recieving the sellers last name)

The last I heard, he still had two surface grinders for $1000 each.

If anyone must do business with him, get a contract in writing before money or goods exchange hands. Of course, I would recommend strongly against any sort of business relationship.

At this time, I'm only out some time and a bit of lost pay. Hopefully, I lose the couple of ebay auctions before they close, or I'll be losing more money.

There were times when a man's word was as good as a sworn contract. There are still places where that holds true. It seems that the scumsuckers are still out there, and they may be taking over.

Karl

Still looking for a mill.
    Last edited by Kdahm; 09-01-2006, 02:07 PM.
    At a certain point in the course of any project, it comes time to shoot the engineers and build the damn thing.

It aint legal until money has been exchanged

Comment

Yeah, I know it's not a legal contract until money has changed hands.

There's still the difference between doing what's legal and doing what's right. If someone makes a verbal agreement, then breaks it, he may be in the clear as far as the law goes, but he isn't honorable.

In the end, Dennis stil has to wake up in the morning and realize he's sold himself for a couple of bucks.

I'll get over being ticked. A few hours tommorow will take care of my monetary loss. Sometime in the future, I'll get a mill.

No one who knows what Dennis did to me will trust him at his word until he proves he means it. Members of this board and wnyone who browses by won't be taken in.

Sure, it wasn't a legal contract. To someone with integrity and honor, it wouldn't matter.

Karl
      At a certain point in the course of any project, it comes time to shoot the engineers and build the damn thing.

Comment

cuts both ways. just dealt with selling a small loader tractor. im part of a site that collets these things. posted the for sale there first out of courtesy. got no less than 4 (2 from the same guys) saying yes i will take it. each separated by a week, would pull the ad, wait for payment, a week would pass then they would say sorry...cant take it..repost it and so-on. finally i said screw you guys, put it on ebay and made a grand more than i was askin. also was quite ticked..each time this happened. now when i sell it goes to the first to show up with the money
        scott
        Last edited by plastikosmd; 08-31-2006, 10:05 PM.
        "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

I have had a similar experience several times. Once I had performed work and purchased materials for a repair job and agreed to take a horizontal mill in exchange for the repair. "No rush" I was told on removing the mill from his storage building. Then, while attending his Christmas party, was told he sold the mill to another guy in the Dallas area (we're in Dayton, Ohio) and even got paid around $1500 for delivery to Texas. Gave a check to a fella across the street for a 1966 Mustang and took a receipt for payment. Title was to be delivered the next day. He backed out and gave me the check back. Bid and bought a Monarch 10EE in Virginia off ebay. Seller then advised his dad had already sold it to someone else after haveing the son list it on ebay. Probably a few more like that if I care to think on it for a while. I don't. I think in everyone of these cases, something better came along later. The guy that sold the horizontal bought me a Hurco CNC for a $1000 (my first one) when he bought one for himself. He said no big deal if I didn't want to take the deal, he would sell it to someone else, but he thought I would probably want it; He was right! I picked up a late-model Hardinge TFB for around $1,600 last may; better deal for me than the Monarch, as I already have several Hardinge lathes and am familiar with them. Life goes on, and you may be better off for having "lost" this deal. BTW, the horizontal was a small toolroom Hardinge and later on I was given the opportunity to purchase a Hardinge TM-UM horizontal with a vertical head for $800 in excellent condition when a old toolmaker friend of mine was dying of cancer.
          Last edited by Jim Caudill; 09-01-2006, 12:25 AM.

Comment

[To someone with integrity and honor, it wouldn't matter] I'll back you up on that one. Seems like a dying breed. People have no self-respect, so that's why you got ripped that way; or else I'm just too damn old. Remember when a man's word was good enough?

Comment

Bummer!

That's a shame. Obviously, the guy is not a Texan. Probably some transposed orphan of some foreign state.

Comment

I agree he should have made an effort to keep your verbal contract. Greed goes a long way with machinery dealers.

But, I think it is rude of you to post his possible home address and his cell number. Keep it business and post his business name and location. But when you post someones personal information on the world wide web you are opening him up to criminal activity. JRouche
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Yes, today you can't count on a hand shake or verbal promise because people no longer have scrupples or a conscience about deals with each other. Another thing that is very dangerous is to pay for something and go back later and pick it up. I have quit telling someone that I will hold it for them unless I know them well.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Google lists this name

This is what google said goes with the phone number.
                    "Mi R Chung, (713) 973-9262, 9023 Emnora Ln, Houston, TX 77080 "
                    I do not like posting this information I deplore his actions even more. Very poor way to do busness in my book.

Paul

Comment

I've had a number of cases where I have called about an item, and agreed to drive right out there and look, I'm the first to call, seller says so.

Get there, and it's sold and being loaded. "oh he just came by and paid the money". Maybe I just drove 40 min 1 way to get there....

Other cases, I have talked to people who say that they have a guy coming out to look, and if he doesn't want it I'm next. So it goes both ways.

But the second type are the ones I believe have some integrity. That's how I work it, and I will get a phone number and I WILL call back if the first guy doesn't do the deal.

Then there are the guys who say they will be there in 10 min. Then 4 hours later they show up and wonder why it is sold.... No, I won't wait 24 times longer than you said, when you didn't call and didn't show up.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

His full name

The answer is:
                        Last edited by abare33; 09-01-2006, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I'm selling a Bridgy and a Myford 254 for a friend who's eyesight is failing.
                          Last night I had five people interested in the Myford.
                          I sent the same email out to all on condition, equipment , price etc to all.
                          Only difference was that each one had where they stood in the list at the bottom.
                          That's the way the sale is going to go, first email is preference.
                          This morning No5 emails to say he's bought one during the week and he doesn't think sitting at No 5 will be any good so thank you and not interested.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Cash talks,Bull$hit walks.

Assume a seller or buyer has no ethics,til deal is done. then you will not be disapointed.

Comment

I have more sympathy with the seller.

Consider this a lesson. If you want to buy an item that has potential wide spread interest complete the transaction ASAP. Give the seller enough down payment (if not the total amount) once you've seen the item so there's no doubt you intend to complete the transaction.

I've sold a number of items over the years and have been a landlord for 25 years. Talk is cheap and verbal commitments are worth very little. Cash talks.

BTW, that was not a wise move listing the seller's name and contact info. You may have opened yourself to possible legal action on his part.

Comment

Working...
                              X