Drill Bushings, bearings, choices, and money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Bushings, bearings, choices, and money

This is a tip on something that I think is clever and has saved me money. In my hobby as a cue maker/repairman I am sometimes confronted with the need to work on cue shafts of verying sizes ranging from about 12-14 mm typically. I have built fixtures to help me replace the tips, ferrules etc easily. My problem was that the fixture needed to be something thatwould not mar the shaft and yet would hold different sizes securely and allow me to rotate them. Here is my el cheapo solution.
    I am fortunate to have a friend in the industrial surplus business. Through the years I have amassed quite an assortment of drill bushings of different sizes. It occurred to me that by purchasing a single pillow block bearing of 1.375 dimension, that with that single bearing, I could use any sized drill bushing as long as the outer diameter was 1.375. If I selected a bushing with an ID of 1.000", then that enabled me to use any drill bushing with an OD of 1.00 etc. These are the numbers I commonly work with, but the idea works for any combination. Using this same idea, I also fashioned a traveling steady rest for my lathe. By using a single bearing and an assortment of drill bushings, I am able to have a steady that will travel with the tool, and provide secure holding without marring the workpiece. It's a neat idea, one I have used it to aid in many applications such as grinding etc. A single bearing, several drill bushings, great flexability and not a lot of money. That's a combination I like!
    There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Nice tip Ed, that idea could work for other jobs also.
    Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Nice idea indeed. It is almost similar to a collet setup. Have to keep that one in my bag-o-tricks.

rock-
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Absolutely! Put a roller or ball bearing into a fixed steady rest and you've just cut your set up time considerably. Once you've got the initial bearing centered, all you need to do is replace the drill bushing unless you have a great disparity in the sizes. Imagine you have three shafts that you need to put an end radius on. One shaft is 1.00 inch, one is .625 inch and one is .375 inch. Set it up on a swivel base turn down the 1 inch, put in the .625 bushing and radius the .625 shaft, remove and put in the .375 bushing and go for it. Three different sized shafts all rediused with a single set-up. As i've said, I have used it for many purposes and all it ever done is save me time and money.
        There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

Very versatile......that's the only way to fly!

Comment

I have a potful of drill bushings....

Looks like I am about to have a box turning tool...........

Thanks for the idea.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X