• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thistle
    • Mar 2003

Lathe saves the day.

Huh what ?
    Its Sunday and I have a social engagement tonight, and no birthday present for the offender .
    - so I whip this up on the lathe out of Lignum Vitae. Saved .

now , this gets me into wanting to try and thread a top onto the next box.
  • Norman Atkinson

lathe saves the day

Lignum vitae- bearings for marine propellors- a lot of shafting- and a series of matches? Good Luck to you, Sir!

I was merely thinking of a navel engagement. Spelling? yea, let's spell it that way.

Cheers

Norm

Comment

• wierdscience
      • Jan 2003

Nice work! Don't you wish everything turned as good as LV?
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• thistle
        • Mar 2003

I had a 1/2 inch ribbon of tissue paper thick wood coming up about 6 inches off the tool, and there it turns to dust , you have to turn it to know.
        The wood will go black in a couple of years.

Norman ,that pieceof wood , was was once bound from the New world on a French ship ,for France, no doubt to be used for sheaves and whatever , pre propellor days, it didnt make it though.

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

lathe saves the day

Hi Thistle,
          Delighted to learn the origins of such a piece.
          I suspect that the dust coming off was because of the age of the wood.
          In normal turning, the natural oil would allow the 'swarf' to come off rather like brown grease. This is with the use of conventional lathe tools fixed on the saddle.

In another posting, I was commenting about glues on African Blackwood- afromosia which exhibits similar properties to the lignum.

This was making Northumbrian small pipes, I should add.

My wife and I were going through the present costs of high quality clarinets- there are rumours- expensive ones- of needing a new bass clarinet. Need I say more on the subject?

I can, however, say that finally I am assisting an Australian guy to put hitherto forgotten articles onto the Internet. You have a Myford 7, E-mail me if you are interested for details. My earlier postings of such seem to have got gobbled up. Like the French ship, I suppose.

Whatever, lovely turning to be proud of

Norm

Comment

• wierdscience
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by thistle
            I had a 1/2 inch ribbon of tissue paper thick wood coming up about 6 inches off the tool, and there it turns to dust , you have to turn it to know.
            The wood will go black in a couple of years.

You mean like this?

Comment

• malbenbut
              • Nov 2005

Bowls the game of bowls played by many in the UK. You can often buy sets of bowls for a couple of آ£s at car boot sales, these are made of lignum vitae.
              MBB

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

lathe saves the day

Weirdscience,
                I would put a small bet on that that isn't Lignum.
                My computer monitor isn't that great but most bits of lignum would be hitting the sapwood in the size on the lathe. I could be wrong but it could be Rosewood. Not as oily and a bit brittle!

MBB
                Agreed about bowls which were once lignum. Mine are Hensolite- whatever that is. Got soaked at TSMEE but came away with a GH Thomas universal pillar tool and small rotary table.

Regards to you all

Norm

Comment

• Your Old Dog
                  • Dec 2004

my experiance with lignum vitae is that it's much darker. Whats pictured looks more like Butternut to me which is in the Walnut family.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

• wierdscience
                    • Jan 2003

Norman,it's lignum,got the paper to prove it.The stuff I have is surplus from the Navy,it's still used for propeller bearings and hatch cover slides,very oily.

Some of the pieces I have show some sap wood,but the largest pieces are 4x5x24" at the most.

Here is a link to some pictures,the grain in the piece being turned is identical to the top photo.

Comment

• Norman Atkinson

lathe saves the day

I am delighted to concede defeat! Would you like your winnings in coins of the realm or strawberry tarts? One thing is sure, you have one of the really wonderful woods to work with.You will realise now just how precious this stuff is?
                      As far as blackwood is concerned, they are now taking the turnings after making clarinets and re-moulding it with epoxy and making- more clarinets.

Now, I suppose is the time to experiment with woods like kingswood and cocobolo and partridge wood.All are different and will make those items which will be proudly displayed to one and all.

Now, then , kind Sir, there is something called Ornamental turning.
                      Time to buy the odd book?

Kind regards

Norm

Comment

• Milacron of PM
                        • Apr 2001

Originally posted by NORMAN ATKINSON
                        I am delighted to concede defeat! Would you like your winnings in coins of the realm or strawberry tarts?
                        But, but we haven't actually seen a scan of the paperwork ! Plus we'll need microscopic analysis of the cellular structure for absolute species confirmation.

Comment

• wierdscience
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by D. Thomas
                          But, but we haven't actually seen a scan of the paperwork ! Plus we'll need microscopic analysis of the cellular structure for absolute species confirmation.

DNA all the way,if the glove don't fit you must aquit!

Comment

• thistle
                            • Mar 2003

I have seen billets of lignum vitae ranging in size from 3-4 inches diameter to 12 inches - but thats a rather oval ,mishapen 12 inches .

I was using lignum for bandsaw blade blocks worked rather well

I have most all the holzapffel books on ornamental turning.I am however just an oik and not a gentleman so will not attempt anything like in those books.

Comment

• thistle
                              • Mar 2003

re the colour- yes it does go black, but when first turned it is that nice colour that weird has on the lathe .mine is darker than normaly what i would expect.

Comment

Working...
                              X