Scraping baby-steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraping baby-steps

I just had to share this with everyone. I have been playing around with a hand scraper and small (2" square) cast iron angle plate. After about 45 minutes worth of scraping and spotting, I have gotten it flat enough to just stick (wring) to a dry, flat surface. Add a little oil between the two and it takes some effort to pull apart. I was skeptical about my ability to do this but it really wasn't that hard. Granted, it's not the same as rescraping the ways of a machine tool, but it is a start! Next, I would like to take 3 blocks of cast iron and generate my own surface plates.

Let's see, all I would need to do then is make a straightedge, some templates, a spindle test bar, find a climate controlled room and I can rebuild my Logan...........

Oh well, one step at a time I guess.

Greg
    "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

can you expand on just HOW you scrape a piece of metal into shape?

i've seen hand scraped tools (ways, blocks, etc)... and i've heard machinists talk about it in an almost mystic way.. but i still cant get a handle on how its actually done.

not that i plan on doing any.

what kind of "scraper" do you have to use to shave metal like that? and is there some sort of honing compound used, that actually does the cutting??

curious,
    -knucklehead.

Comment

knucklehead,

Check out this website for a pretty good description of scraping: http://www.csgnet.net/toolroom/scrape1.htm
      "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

knucklehead:
        can you expand on just HOW you scrape a piece of metal into shape?
        [/QUOTE]

With a scraper and LOTS of practice. "Machine Tool Reconditioning" by Edward F. Connelly is a good starting point but by no means the only way to get started in it.

If you can afford one, a Biax power scraper they can be used even by monkeys to do reasonable jobs with a little practice.

http://www.dapra.com (Biax Power scrapers, scraping supplies, & hand tools)

3Jaw

Good job. Keep at it!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-27-2003).]

Comment

Hmmm...

By following the links, I discovered that McMaster-Carr sells scrapers of the right type. A mere $150 to $190 per, considering that you have to buy the handle and blades separately. It's about $120 for the handle, and another $35 for the blade, for the smallest type, which is 3/4 wide.

Enco seems to have sold out of theirs, per messages on other sites, and will not be getting more.

I assume Dapra is in the same price category as McMaster-Carr, but I don't know. From what's on that scraping site, the McMaster-Carr may BE Dapra scrapers.

I bought the book, but I have a lot better uses for another $200 than one scraper, so I guess I will be sharpening old files!

Comment

Working...
          X