Clausing compound slide gib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clausing compound slide gib

Can someone please help me with this. My compound slide has 4 SHCS that hold the gib to the bottom of the slide, and 4 setscrews on the side to adjust the gib. My question(s): how tight do the SHCS have to be, do they have to be tight as they can be or just snugged up? It takes way to much force to turn the handwheel right now. I posted this question on another forum and cant get an answer about the screws. It was suggested that I take the gib put and to make sure it is smooth and not bent, which I am going to do. I have the manual for this lathe but it isnt the most helpful. Thanks for any help.

I loosen all of mine off just till "loose" and verify the slide moves easily, though perhaps sloppily. I then tighten them one at a time very slowly, just till I feel it touch, and work the slide to “feel” the resistance as you go. Start this working from center to outer, and the cumulative effect is to make the slide somewhat stiffer with each adjustment, though no where near “additive”, so don’t be too aggressive in tightening. It’s not unusual for me to iterate over this several times to get a nice smooth feel while remaining steady on heavy cuts.

If after a few tries you’re still having trouble, particularly if you notice a sort of on/off effect where it goes almost instantly from way-too-stiff to way-too-sloppy, then you may have a warped to scared gib. The compound of my Rockwell was like this, in part due to someone having installed it backwards at some point in it’s history. I lapped it on a granite surface plate using 400 w/d and very thin spindle oil (ISO 20 IIRC?). Now it’s smooth and easily adjusted, though I may go back later and try to do a better job.

That's my approach, lets see what others suggest...
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

There's usually a shim(s) under the portion that the socket head cap screws (SHCS) pass through. The shim is selected to give a snug but movable slide with the cap screws tight. This controls up and down movement. The gib screws are then used to control side to side movement and adjust parallelism to slide surface.

My old Craftsman lathe uses this setup on the carriage to way slide.

Comment

Oops, sorry, I read too fast and answered the wrong question. I have no idea on the second set of screws on top as I've never owned anything that had them...
        Russ
        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Well darn. Wonder how a man would go about verifying that there is a shim that goes there. This lathe supposedly came out of a high school in NY, and I can tell it had been apart. I looked at the manual and dont see a shim, but like I said it isnt the best either.

Comment

[Wonder how a man would go about verifying that there is a shim that goes there.] WHAT!??????????

Comment

Can you post a picture. I'm confused about the SHCS's and the shim, never have seen them used in this application before.
              Harry

Comment

Start reading from the top Millman. How am I going to find out if a shim goes where he says there might need to be one?? Let me figure out how to post pictures, its been a while since I have.

Cant post pictures...posting rules at bottom say "You may not post attachments"
                I have the pictures, cant post them.
                Last edited by Furnace; 09-08-2006, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Picture posting info is at the top of the topics page.
                  Harry

Comment

Don't worry about pics...just take it apart and clean it. That way you will always know how it;s made. Knowing what;s inside your machine is one of the tricks.

Comment

I have had it apart 50 times atleast, no joke. I have cleaned it and oiled it. If you notice in one of the pictures, one of the students must have had a crash or something. I have checked the slide to see if it might be bent a little and it looks straight to me. Just curious about the gib screws.

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...9/PDR_1121.jpg
                      http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...9/PDR_1122.jpg

Tell me if these pictures dont work.

Thanks guys

Comment

Furnace - Check your email ..... Or send me the pictures. I'll post them so everyone knows what you're talking about.

Ops... never mind.

Last edited by CCWKen; 09-08-2006, 11:26 PM.

Comment

That's not the type I was thinking about but the cap screws should be tight. If the gib screws are on the same side (edge) as the cap screws, loosen the cap screws a little, adjust gibs then tighten the cap screws. No shims for this application.

Comment

That is not the normal type of gib, but appears to be a repair. I would guess that the dovetail was trashed at some time, and that the topslide was milled out and an insert has been bolted in place for repair.

You might try removing it and milling the flat side to allow it to move away from the male dovetail until it is too loose and then using the adjusting screws to adjust it.

Or, if tightening the capscrews pulls it tight, try shimming under the insert.
                            Jim H.

Comment

[Or, if tightening the capscrews pulls it tight, try shimming under the insert.] Once again, JC is right. Those gibs were a pain in the armpit but once you get them set; they are sturdy. There is even a name for that slide, but I can't remember ? Sorry for the shock, Furnace, thought it was the standard style. That style was used in the LARGE old machines a lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X