Jarts anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jarts anyone?

I'm looking for the dimensions of the old "Jarts" Lawn Darts from the '70's. Yes, I know they were banned (at least the sale thereof) in 1988 but I want to build a set for backyard barbeques & such for friends & I to enjoy. They were great fun. Plus, it'll be an easy lathe project.

I have some scrap to make the heads from and some damaged arrow-shafts to make the rear sections....will have to find some thin sheet plastic to make the fins from. I think they were 12 - 13" long and the pointy end was about 5/16" or 3/8" with the larger part about 3/4" or so. I found lots of history on the web but no plans or dimensions. Funny, they're still legal in the U.K??

Once I get a set made, all I'll have to worry about is them pesky Jart sniffin' poe-leece dogs.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Why couldn't you make the darts with a soft end. A wieghted soft tip, that would, when it hit the ground, stay where it landed.

Then there would not be anything that could end up stuck in little Nancys eye socket.
    Gene

Comment

Bad idea.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Bad idea maybe, kind of like running with scissors, but they sure were fun, I put a hole in my grandmothers roof with a jart, I was loved and adored after that little incedent.

Comment

Might be ok if made with hollow graphite tubing so they don't have enough energy to puncture the brain case like the old ones.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Why not just give everyone a bow and arrows and shoot at each other. It's about the same thing. If you must, here an excerpt from the recall of Franklin brand Yard Darts"

"To identify yard darts made by Franklin, consumers should check for the permanently embossed FRANKLIN logo and the warning "ADULT GAME NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN'S USE" which appears on two of the wings.

Each of these sets contained four yard darts, 12 1/2 inches long with a 1 3/4 inch blunt metal tip. Each dart has one aerodynamic fin with three wings."

Comment

Why build them? I saw them at HF in N. Cal. yesterday. I was shocked. The good ol' Chinese version of the Lawn Darts of yesteryear! I was shocked!
              Duke Reno / Yankee Metallic Metalcraft

Comment

Lawn Darts

I got some damn dangerous weapons after a 26 er of good whiskey and a few beer. Those ends can go damn near through yer foot. My recomendation heat all the pointy ends with a acetylene torch prior to using them in case they get into yer gizzard foot head wherever. Then at least theyre sterile and you wont need a tetsanus shot.

Comment

Yes, be sanitary at all costs!

Comment

You see, what you really need to do is adapt one of those lawn darts to be shot out of a pneumatic spud gun. Have artillery competitions, try to hit targets in neighbors yards. Put plastic bullseyes in each yard, make sure the neighbors wear hard hats though.

Comment

Kid Kabobs

Kid Kabob.. (Carrol said so)

I thought it was fun to shoot my bow and arrow straight up, then jump out of the way as the arrow was falling.

That is, till my mom wore my rear out.

I used to get a pine tree rocking, then jump to the next tree like Tarzan.. All my friends got broken bones trying to do the same, we'd get a row of trees rocking and then you could really move. The game would usually end with some kid laying on the ground screamin his lungs out.

Watching our home movies from the early sixties? I think I was more like Cheeta instead of tarzan.

My advice, plant a row of pine trees.

I killed one pine tree learning to ride a bicycle.. I'd use the tree to stop since my feet would not reach the pedals.. I'd push it up onto the hill and coast down, hitting the tree to stop, as I broke the branches off the outsides, Finally I was down to hitting the trunk to stop, THe scabs in my ear didn't get well for about a month I think, had pine bark in them.

Later in life, I discovered a tanker truck can stop your harley.. same ole thing except a lot more was hurt than just a ear.
                      Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

We used to have a set around here somewher - i'll look and see if i can find them. They don't sound all that dangerous really. You can still buy pellet guns that will punch through a wooden fence and leave a quarter sized hole...if that doesnt do some damage to a person i dont know what will. It all comes down to whether you use the product like your supposed - like the pellet gun only being pumped up 10 times instead of 20 and etc. Be safe with them - treat them like an adult game and no problems.

Comment

I never understood that recall. There was nothing defective about the product, only the morons that failed to realize the danger of a one pound, pointy, fin stabalized peice of lawn artilery.

Why can't we get a recall on morons so the rest of us can enjoy the finer things in life; like lawn darts, fireworks, and tommy guns?

Comment

Originally posted by EDMTech
                            Why can't we get a recall on morons so the rest of us can enjoy the finer things in life; like lawn darts, fireworks, and tommy guns?
                            Because morons are not repairable and what would they do with them all? Guantanamo Bay isn`t big enough.... is it?
                            And imagine the outcry.
                            Ken.

Comment

Thanks Fasttrack. I'd be mighty oblidged if you can find them and give me some rough measurements if you find the time.

Gosh fellers, I didn't realize some of ya'll would be so up tight about it. My buddies & I played for hours every Fri. after work during the summer. We had teams, kept up with the scores...even played at the lake on holiday weekends. Lots of kids & pets around in those days....we just used common sense and didn't leave them lying around for the kids to play with and nobody ever got hurt. I'll keep them well hidden and bring them out only when I'm around to supervise.

Remember Jarts don't kill, people do.
                              Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
                              X