Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slitting & Jeweler's saws - what are their uses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oscar,

One more question regarding the anti-seize lubricant. I read that the Loctite C5-A (505-1318) has copper and graphite suspended in an EP grease so would this be a good material to use for dead centers? Loctite says that it can also take tempertures up to 1800 degress F.

Thanks....Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Burdick (edited 02-21-2003).]

Comment

Offhand I would say no. There are greases especially compounded for high pressure applications. These greases have a high content of molybdenum disulfide (moly) to handle the pressure. McMaster sells a variety of these greases. Some are lithium based others are of a aluminum-complex. Generally speaking if a grease is labelled extreme pressure that's what you want. I lay no claim to any expertise on the subject.

I have been using two tubes of this type of grease for my infrequent use of dead centers. One of them was made by the Cimcool Div. of the Cincinatti Milling Machine Co. and the other is labeled Anti-Scoring, Extreme Pressure Lube #2 by the Evans Products Chicago, Ill.

I have owned these tubes since I retired in '73, they're still 2/3rds full. Shows you how little dead center work I do.
      O

Comment

Mike
        EP is Extreme Pressure - so go for it. I use Amsoil EP lithium grease (Racing) as they have superior low temp and high speed performance

Comment

Mike,
          Did you ever find a slitting saw for your application?

Kevin
          If it's not good enough for you, it's sure not good enough for anyone else.

Comment

Kevin,

I ordered one from Enco (together with an arbor) so hope it will work out.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X