OT: Nuclear fallout shelter - school buses underground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Nuclear fallout shelter - school buses underground

Check out the fallout shelter this guy built by burying a bunch of school buses underground. Look through his pictures of the interior, exterior, and construction phase. Notice all the different rooms he has - computer room, "dental room" etc. I think he is missing two critical rooms though. The zombie room and the gun room. Gotta have a place to store the zombies you capture, and you gotta have guns to protect the place from zombies!

http://www.ki4u.com/nuclearsurvival/arktwo/pictures.htm

I'm just curious...did you guys in the US have a bunch of Fallout Shelters back in the 50's and 60's?
    We had three that I know of in our area (southeastern BC, Cranbrook area)
    They wheren't very big...maybe hold 20 people.
    I always figured those where only for the VIP's while the rest of us where supposed to melt when the big bang hit.
    Was pretty scary stuff for a young kid anyway.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

In the '60s, we had our school desk to protect us. When you tucked your body into and under it, you could kiss your own a$$ goodbye

Comment

Originally posted by torker
        I'm just curious...did you guys in the US have a bunch of Fallout Shelters back in the 50's and 60's?
        I always figured those where only for the VIP's while the rest of us where supposed to melt when the big bang hit.
        Russ
        Yep, as a little kid I know of a couple in western Washington. These were locatd on private property, presumably only the the immediate family.

One I'm particularily aware of the owners were thought of as kooks.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
          Russ
          Lots of folks had shelters during the cold war,however they were all privately owned.In the event of an exchange between us and the Soviets it was decided that only the government and military would survive by design.The thinking was that whatever resources were left would be needed to win the war,not feed the millions of dependants that might survive in shelters.

It was the Swiss I believe that went gang busters building shelters for the entire population,wonder whatever happened to that?
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

You're absolutely right Russ,it was pretty scary,I grew up in California in the 50's and 60's and I remember watching all of those "training" films in class about what to do in event of a nuclear strike.Somehow even as kids we knew that crawling under our desks just wasn't going to cut it.We lived out in the country at the time so the only bomb shelter near us belonged to some rich folks about five miles away,and word was they had enough guns and ammo to shoot everybody within ten miles!
            I really hope we never have to go through that again,but it sure doesn't look like anybody has learned a hell of a lot either.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Hey,that guy's homebrew shelter is pretty neat,but if the sh-- hits that fan I'm going here-

http://www.cnn.com/US/9511/gimme_shelter/index.html

And you think the govmint can't do things,big thinks in secret

Sadly the list of lifeforms that will survive will include,congressmen,bacteria and cock roaches,but in no particular order
              Last edited by wierdscience; 09-09-2006, 08:40 PM.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Zombies?

Don't be silly. Everyone knows you can't kill zombies with a gun. And why would you want to store zombies?

Fallout shelter? Like that's going to help. Turned mine into a storm shelter and fruit cellar.

Comment

all i can say i hope he does not have a bible. the goverment mite have to raid him.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    Hey,that guy's homebrew shelter is pretty neat,but if the sh-- hits that fan I'm going here-

http://www.cnn.com/US/9511/gimme_shelter/index.html

And you think the govmint can't do things,big thinks in secret

Sadly the list of lifeforms that will survive will include,congressmen,bacteria and cock roaches,but in no particular order
                    Darin..didn't you forget that all that bacteria will surely need a lawyer so... some of them will survive as well.
                    The shelters we had here where built by the guvmint if I recall.
                    They used to pay an old guy to keep them in shape.
                    Too bad they didn't keep at least one. It'd be kind of a neat thing to show the kids of today.
                    Ya, we had to do the hiding under the desk thing also. The boys didn't mind diving under the desks though...the girls back then all had to wear skirts to school...provided our "Nuclear View" into the future
                    Russ
                    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

What planet is this guy on?

I hope if the bomb hits it is directly over my head. We've prepared but living like a mole, breathing Radon and watching "I love Lucy" reruns sure sounds like dying and going to hell to me.

Comment

When I was at Vanderbilt in the early '60s the basements of the dorms all had storage rooms stacked to the ceiling with barrels, some with sealed crackers in them sort of like Ritz crackers, others with hard candy. Barrels were meant to be food for evacuees/survivors and when emptied of food, to be filled with potable water or used as latrines and had US gov't labeling and stencils on them indicating contents and possible uses. These stockpiles of food, dating from the late '40s and early '50s all disappeared in the late '70s or so and represented impromptu civilian fallout shelters.
                        Steve

Comment

Yep, lots of public and private buildings were designated as shelters and stocked with food.

A number of private ones I recall in teh more affluent areas near us. Much better than teh "designated" ones, with filtered air, etc.

I think a few got a second lease on life at Y2K...... Sure were some folks who dropped out of life right then, too.... sold everything and bought guns.... went to the hills.

Bet they got divorced pretty quick after that.

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

My folks bought a house in the early eighties that had been built in the fifties. When they bought it, it had a concrete block shelter built in the basement. It had a sink (private well with hard wired generator), shelving for food, and a couple of beds. It would have been a pretty grim place to spend any length of time, but it offered a better chance than none at all.

Comment

Russ,

There are more shelters around than you may think. Some years ago they built a new RCMP station here and I had a good look at every stage of construction. The basement is below ground level at the ceiling. The concrete walls are over a foot thick and reenforced with three layers of rebar with a spacing of about six inches in a square pattern. Each layer of rebar is staggered so the layer isn't in line with the other two. The cell blocks are similar and the "windows" are solid glass bricks a foot thick. I haven't seen the entire basement as there are some security doors that are never open but I have seen that they have some very thick metal doors at the bottom of the stairs. I used to service all of thier office equipment. Apparently most if not all RCMP stations around the country built in the last 20 years or so are of similar construction.

added

There is another feature at Williams Lake that isn't well known. The runway at the airport is 7000 feet long. It is also two feet thick and can take nearly any aircraft including a lightly loaded 747. There is also a VORTAC station only a few miles from the airport for navigation.
                              Last edited by Evan; 09-10-2006, 03:13 AM.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X