Spider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider

I'm making a what I think is called a spider for the left side of my lathe spindle to center up and hold a rifle barrel. How many set screws should I use to fasten it to the spindle? Would 4 be overkill?

Chris

Probably. I wouldn't use more than two, at a 90 degree angle to each other. Unless the thing is a real loose fit and you're depending on the setscrews for mechanical stiffness. In that case, I'd use six, two rows of three, as far apart axially as possible.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dunc (edited 02-24-2003).]

Comment

If it's an octagon barrel, use 4.

Comment

I'm correcting this posting. I screwed up the original big time. If you copied it discard it.

Most people when they need frequent support for "swallowed work" as for gun barrel work add a small 4 jaw chuck to the left end of the spindle which they bore the back side to fit the spindle extension and attach with setscrews.

In your case I suggest two setscrews and a snug fit. Put a little blob of copper in the hole so the screws won't mar the spindle.

[This message has been edited by Forrest Addy (edited 02-25-2003).]

Comment

The fit over the spindle is very good (had to make two because I messed up the first one). Thanks for the help, we'll go with two.

Chris

Comment

Forrest,

Your description of a "regular" spider sounds like what I call a "cat head". Is it the same, or do I have my critters mixed up?

Greg
            "The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is." Winston Churchill

Comment

Ditto. I too know this setup as a "cat head".

Comment

Another vote for "cat head."

What I call a spider is a flat plate with cutouts for chuck jaws that keeps a workpiece from being shoved down the bore of the chuck during setup. I suppose it's called a spider because it straddles the hole.

Comment

I can run but I can't hide. You guys are correct. What can I sat? Brain flatulence. What I described in my lenghty dissertation was a cat head.

A spider is an inside out cathead mounted inslde hollow stuff like a large sleeve so you can support it on a center.

I'm gonna amend my posting. Some are misguided enough to trust in my drivel so I better fix it. This isn't a cover-up but a correction and I will post it as such.

Sheesh! Embarrassing.

Comment

Forrest
                    Brain Flatulence! Is that...stinky?

I vote Cat's head. Is that a litter box on a navy vessel?

Comment

What I'm afraid to ask is how the name got started to begin with. My Czeck sister in Law tells me that cobble stones are called cat heads in czeck. Now there's an ugly picture.

Comment

in north florida, cat heads are large biscuits. as in biscuits and sauage gravy.
                        Larrriping good!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X