Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creatures of habit....sheesh!

Got a red face! (ok...green).
    Spent the better part of an hour laying out holes etc. for some exhaust flanges I want to make for my Toyota truck.
    After all the layout was done...popped the first piece into the mill to start drilling the holes, then it dawned on me...I didn't have to lay out anything...could have done the whole thing in minutes with the dro.
    That's exactly how I ended up doing it...to heck with all the punch marks etc!
    Full dro ahead...job done in no time and likely far more accurate. Oh ya...like an exhaust flange really needs to be with a thou...oh well...it is now
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

DRO must be nice, I dont have one yet. How did the big horizontal mill turn out? There were lots of pictures of the restoration, but I dont remember hearing much about after or of any projects done on it .. JIM
    jim

Comment

Jim, the old OHIO is almost ready to go. The biggest holdback now is the rotary phase converter. I have the table back on it and almost cleaned up, have to adjust the spindle preload (I'll be looking for help with that) and have to clean the very bottom of the oil sump.
      The biggest problem with it is ROOM...or lack there of.
      Now that it's all set up I have no place to put it til I get a couple of rebuilt engines installed in a couple of hot rod projects and a couple of other bigger shop projects done.
      The bigger mill has bitten me in the butt. When that table is swung around to the normal position it eats up a vast amount of my small shop.
      I'm putting it off for a couple more months to say the least.
      Russ

Comment

Originally posted by torker
        Got a red face! (ok...green).

Russ
        Well I did yesterday (red face).
        A couple of months ago I was looking round for a coolant pump for my CVA lathe. It needs a longer spigot than is normal for the size so I was struggling, eventually got given a used pump which looked good. Put it on one side, got on with the day job for a while.
        Yesterday spent the afternoon making a nice job of an adapter flange from plate, flame cut, turned ID & OD, two bolt PCD's marked & drilled (mill not available at present, all done the hard way). Perfect fit, even painted it, really pleased with myself until it dawned on me.......
        The pump motor is too tall, it fouls the TT attachment. Not by much, but enough to make the thing useless
        If i'd been doing the job in one go, I would have spotted that. In my mind I'd solved the original problem, all I needed to do on getting back to it was make it fit.
        Wrong.

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the update. I understand the too many other projects all too well. Also know all about the space problem too. Keep us posted on your projects. JIM
          jim

Comment

Russ,I was still drilling holes two weeks after we got in an ironworker at work Geez that punch function is sooooo much faster
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Say Russ, about that mill that's in your way... I have plenty of space to store it here if you like. I even have a rotary converter.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                Russ,I was still drilling holes two weeks after we got in an ironworker at work Geez that punch function is sooooo much faster
                Darin...lol....reminds me of the last shop I worked at.
                We had to drill four 1/2" dia holes in the corners of 900 3/8" thick plates for some chain runs on a big sawmill package we where building.
                They where none critical and only held a snap on UHMW chain rub.
                Five of us got 180 each....they wanted us to lay out, center punch and drill all the holes.
                Told the boss I'd do the whole works myself in half the time.
                Built a jig for the ironworker and punched out the works in a little over 8 hours...I hate that kind of work but it was better than the alternative.
                Evan...lol....hey do you need a place to store that pesky rotary converter?
                I have juuuust enough room for that
                Russ

Comment

Working...
                X