C6 or C2 what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C6 or C2 what to do?

I was ordering some boring bars the other day and they offered C6 for steel or C2 for aluminum. I know it's a different grade of carbide but why?

Another question. I have a MT3 live center but my lathe is a 2. I saw a reducing sleve once but I'll be dogged if I can find it. Do you know where I can find such a animal?
    Last edited by Hexhead; 09-11-2006, 12:19 AM.
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Substitue aluminum for cast iron and you have a better reason for why.That said unless your really going to be boring a lot of CI or aluminum the c-6 set is all you need.The c-2 is softer and more impact resistant,good for castings and metals with lots of silicon in them like cast aluminum.

That reducer your looking for is actually called an extension since you need to expand up from the #2 in the tailstock to the #3 on the live center.However this will greatly add overhang and reduce the center distance of your machine,so spending a few extra $$ on the right live center would be best.Besides,it's an excuse to buy more tools right

Hope this helps.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

#3 MT into a #2 MT

Originally posted by Hexhead
      Another question. I have a MT3 live center but my lathe is a 2. I saw a reducing sleve once but I'll be dogged if I can find it. Do you know where I can find such a animal?
      You want to adapt your male #3 MT to a #2 MT socket? I would do as Weird suggests. Get a center with the necessary taper. The cost of a new center may be comperable to the extension he mentions.

Extensions (if you insist) and reducing sleeves are availiable from any of the favorites (ie. McMaster-Carr, MSC, etc.) you'll see mentioned here.
      Last edited by ERBenoit; 09-11-2006, 01:18 AM.
      Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

Yes it's a MT3 going in a MT2 hole. I know what your saying about getting the right taper, but I already have this expensive live center (free) with a small tip on the end of it to get the cutting tip closer to the work. The MT3 shaft seems to be beefy enough to limit the defection of the extension of the adapter, I may be wrong on that but I'd like to try. I'm on a limited budget and live centers (good ones) are so pricey. I hate to just let it sit on the shelf. So if someone knows where I can get one I'd appreciate it.
        Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Comment

Morse Taper Extension Socket

Try here for ideas. Be aware of overhung load and deflection.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=302&PMCTLG=00

Comment

thanks lastolddog. I have a small 9x20 lathe so I don't turn very large stuff or take very deep cuts so I feel I might get away with it.

Comment

Working...
            X