A shaper is nice for....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shaper is nice for....

I need to clean up this flame cut plate, its time to fire up the shaper.
    Nice to know I am not going to trash a milling cutter, just touch up the tool on the grinder.

It occurs to me as I wander off to do another thing that a set of limit switches wired into the VFD might be worth thinking about , or maybe even hooked up to a solenoid, or actuator to operate the clutch so I dont have to restartthe VFD.

Last edited by thistle; 09-11-2006, 07:31 AM.

Looks great, since I don't have one, I'll keep on using the fly cutter for those jobs. Makes a helluva mess though.

Comment

Yep,

Shapers are perfect for this sort of work. I bought all of my shaper tools for a pound each at a fleamarket.

One suggestion; swivel the vise around by 90 degrees so that you're cutting against a jaw rather than parallel to it. It's not always possible, but I do it whenever I can to avoid the work getting pushed out of position.

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Why machine all that rust? An hour in a weak HCl acid pickle (out of door acturally) would take off the rust and hard scale and leave nice clean steel to machine. Also the hard edges of the steel plate can be drawn back to ready machiniability if you heat it to about 800F or so and let it cool in air. Do this before the pickle.

Comment

I have aluminium strips packing between the jaws and the rough plate edge, and actually want the whole lot to fly out if there is a crash rather than busting the machine.

rethought my idea of a feed cut out , it would be nice and tidy to engineer a electrical limit switch /solenoid sytem ,but if I rig up a rod to the table to knock the clutch over when the table is feeding towards me it would be a whole lot cheaper!

Comment

thistle,

Most lead screws on a shaper table have the threads machined off in order to prevent the table from going beyond its maximum travel. You might check your shaper and see if the lead screw has this feature.
            Last edited by Mike Burdick; 09-11-2006, 12:45 PM.

Comment

no, she will drive the table into the end , there is a shear pin to try and help lessen the effects of a crash- the Elliot 14 is a pretty simple machine no fancy stuff like relieving the threads on the end of the screw.

Rust - hmmmm yes ,well its all on the floor now.Me naughty boy.

Comment

thistle,

...regarding the VFD and limit switches.

Most VFD's have a low voltage control terminal strip that will allow one to stop, start, forward, reverse, emergency stop, and jog the machine without causing the VFD to shut down. This allows one to wire in a machine such that it can use the original switches. If your VFD has this feature, then placing a limit switch where you want the table to stop will be very simple. Since it's low voltage - around 5 to 10 volts DC - the limit switch will not be very expensive. The nice thing about using the VFD's control terminal is that once the limit switch signals the VFD to stop the motor it won't come back on until the operator presses the start button. This prevents the possibility of someone accidentally starting the machine when the table is pulled away from the limit switch. So...if you want multiple limit switches, just wire them in series and no matter which switch is triggered, the machine will stop.
                Last edited by Mike Burdick; 09-11-2006, 02:08 PM.

Comment

I have the aux control strip , it is not getting used .
                  I use the control pad.it is not ideal but thats what i am going with right now.

it would be nice to put the vfd out of harm and dusts way and utilise remote buttons limit switches ect.I have to try and figutrre it all out .

Comment

One of our old shapers at work has a good feature,it simply reverses the table feed when it reaches the limit.It's actually very handy,first pass leaves some grooves,second pass usually cleans them off with the unused cutting edge,very slick finishes too.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                    X