Oh Crap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Crap!

I have been boring you with the never ending story of my workshop woes and lathe laments. Well after spending a few days cleaning up storm damage in my summer woodworking tent where I was making a bench top for my lathe (who knew that MDF would sprout mushrooms so quickly). I decided it was time to move my lathe from the storage space in the "workshop" to its proper place. All went well, until the last four stairs. The fender of the handtruck bent into one of its wheels. Always wondered what the bottom of a little four hundred pound lathe looked like. Spent the rest of the afternoon clearing the crash site. Lathe will need a little more work than I had planed, have a hole in the wall to fix, a hand truck to repair, a few "reminder" dents in the concrete, and no major damage to my person. All in all, a great day in the shop. Looking forward to the mill move...
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

"Lay on ground-light fuse-get away"

Comment

Techshop, sorry to hear about your day. Glad that no one was hurt. My friend had his lathe fall on him while moving it. He was not so lucky, Don did get hurt out of the crash.
      Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
      http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

I have broke a Colchester Bantam in two while moving it by my lonesome. Most times these moves go well without a prob but since my day of joy I get someone to assist me and share a beer....after.
        I am glad to hear that you escaped unscathed.
        Ken.

Comment

Falt

flat drag, had a dolly under the ten ton cinncinatti lathe (24") I was over on the other side of the room winching it, then the dolly popped out turning over lathe. Knocking end wall out of shop.. you know the roof support end wall?

Construction techniques should not be comprimised, the manner in which I built the ridge of the shop, 2x6"s with plywood between then created a wooden beam. Whole end of shop sat there rocking. Lesser construction would have made the whole building fall in on me. New side of shop has a huge Ibeam for a ibeam-ridgepole.

Porky (ironworker) showed up christmas day and helped me right the lathe, cherry picker would not budge it, did lift the light end, a truck jack, piles of cribbing and it inched up back onto it's feet.. when it finally rocked up the remainder of the way, I ran..

Glad you were not hurt, sorry about your tool tho.
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Yeah.....Glad you're BOTH OK!

Comment

Time will tell...

It will be a few days until I have time to really check over. Was moving just the bed, motor, and headstock. Most of the fragile parts had already been removed. Had to disassemble the lathe further while it was upside down, wedge sideways at the bottom. Thats what took so much time, didn't want is "spining" on some weird axis as I removed parts. The sheet metal was pretty bad before the move, and was not improved by the impact. Didn't hear any "rattles" finishing the move.

The whole "rush" was, I saved a drill press from scrappy (1985 Who Flung Dung) yesterday AM and needed "shop space" before dark. Usually these things go well for me, but just tossed it out as a reminder that some times they go wrong, and to "think" before you act. (I need to get that first pic as a poster!)

Thanks for all the kind words.
              Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

I forgot to add in my last post that the drill press came with twelve Starrett "Yankee" and improved firm joint calipers, the largest are 18 inches, and another tool chest to keep them in.

I think I need to log off and get started on what I "needed" to do today after lunch.

Comment

Working...
                X