OT Anybody actually see this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Anybody actually see this?

On the news this morning was a story about a bright object that streaked across the sky over Washington State last night. It left a large and persistent trail of plasma. They showed a video of it that somebody captured.

The various news reports are all calling it a meteor known as a bolide that is large enough and bright enough to see in the daytime.

Bullsheet. I have seen several bolides and thousands of meteors and have photographed them too. What I saw on that video was no meteor. It was traveling much too slowly to be a meteor. They are traveling at an absolute minimum of 7 miles per second when they reenter and usually around 20 to 30 miles per second. It can be as high as 90. They streak across the sky. It cannot be below 7 mps since that is the escape velocity of the earth. On the other hand a satellite cannot ever be that fast if it was in earth orbit.

More importantly, whatever it was made some sort of sharp maneuver just as the trail started. It was very clearly visible in the video that the beginning of the plasma trail was very hooked, a sweeping curve of perhaps 30 to 40 degrees over a fair distance. Meteors and satellites do not do that. They can't. It couldn't be winds aloft, there is no wind at that altitude. They begin lighting up at 50 to 90 km high.

I have even captured a photo of a meteor that exhibited changes in flight direction, one of the only photos of it's kind according to discovery channel's expert where it was discussed.

You can see the that video here:

http://www.exn.ca/dailyplanet/view.asp?date=1/30/2002

What I saw on the video of last night's event was no such thing. Did anybody else actually see it? Whatever it was was burning up. The velocity was much more reminiscent of the shuttle columbia burning up minus the pieces. It could however have been a heat shield disintegrating. Whatever it was was capable of changing direction drastically at very high velocity.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

It was a jet, according to local news.

Comment

Incidentally, the story is already being erased from the collective consciousness.

This is what a link on the Seattle Times to public sighting reports of the event brings up:

Comment

It was a jet, according to local news.
        Oh? All the main news organizations are calling it a meteor. Also, multiple sonic booms were heard and it lit up the sky. What sort of jet would that be?

Witnesses along a 60-mile swath of the Puget Sound region from the Tacoma area to Whidbey Island and as far as 260 miles to the east said the sky lit up brilliantly, and many reported booms as if from one or more explosions.
        http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ebflash03.html

Here is what they say on that page about reports. BTW, this is a standard misdirection technique. Discredit the witnesses by publishing the most absurd description you can think of.

Readers report

We heard reports from several readers about the mysterious booms and flashes of light early this morning over Puget Sound:
        "At first, I thought I was being beemed [sic] up, but no gauges on my car changed, so I knew I wasn't being 'taken'"
        — Linda Schumpert

Last edited by Evan; 09-12-2006, 06:15 PM.

Comment

It is reported to be sunlight reflecting off a contrail

Look down the list at this link for the video news report.
          http://www.king5.com/video/playlist.html
          Dunno, I'm skeptical

Comment

Evan, some may mock, and accuse that of being a conspiracy theory but all it takes is a minimum of two like minded individuals to conspire.

Obviously? it has nothing to do with this event in the South Island. It was reported that the sonic boom was heard over a couple of hundred kms.

I don`t recall taking drugs this morning, but here is the correct report, not one from 3 years ago

Rock probed for meteor link
            http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411416/828926
            Big bang rattles Canterbury (2:02)
            Close Up: Meteorite (8:11)
            Sep 13, 2006
            The National Radiation Laboratory hopes to know soon whether material recovered from a Canterbury farm is linked to the South Island sonic boom on Tuesday.
            The sonic boom was so powerful it shook buildings across the Canterbury region and even registered on seismic drums used to monitor earthquakes.

Hundreds of people called police about the bang and several witnesses reported seeing the meteorite stream across the sky in Hinds. Seconds later it was spotted over Hanmer Springs in North Canterbury.
            Many said the bang was so loud they thought it was a plane blowing up or an earthquake.
            Police were called to a Dunsandel property south of Christchurch on Tuesday night.

National Radiation Lab general manager Jim Turnbull says the senior science officer from the Prime Minister's department has asked them to analyse the fragment found there.
            They will check to see if it's from outer space, and if so, whether it's a meteorite, or space junk.
            Turnbull says authorities want to know whether the piece is radioactive because there are old satellites that do have nuclear powered devices on them, and scientists hope to have an answer on Wednesday.

The meteor is the talk of much of the South Island, but the chances of anyone finding the space rock are astronomically small.

After a fiery flight and sonic boom, it is unclear if it burned up or crashed to earth.

Within hours of the sonic boom just before 3pm, a rash of objects had been posted on TradeMe claiming to be the meteorite responsible.

Experts say while the original rock was probably about the size of a large ball, it may have broken into pebble-size pieces.

Professor John Baggeley, who operates a meteor radar for Canterbury University, says finding it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

He says people expecting to find a smouldering rock will be disappointed as it will be cold now that it has come to Earth.

"We received about a hundred calls in a ten minute period - 25 percent of those were to the fire service, the rest were to police. Essentially all people could tell us was that they heard a loud bang," Inspector Mike Coulter says.

Police believe it was space junk re-entering the atmosphere, but there have been no reports of damage.

A Canterbury astronomer says the meteor was probably travelling low and at great speed.

"When it hits the atmosphere it creates a ram phenomenon - that is the pressure of the atmosphere moving against it is what heats it up. Being so bright to be seen during the day and making a sound like a solar boom it would officially be called a bolite for astronomical purposes, which is an unusual event," associate professor at the Canterbury Astronomical Society, Euan Mason, says.

The last big meteor sighting in the South Island was in the Nelson region nearly two years ago.
            Source: Newstalk ZB/One News
            Last edited by speedy; 09-12-2006, 09:12 PM.
            Ken.

Comment

Well i'm pretty sure it was an alien spacecraft - watch out for strange or bizzarre individuals knocking on your door asking if you will machine a plasma conduit or space time modulator for them.

in all seriousness though - sounds interesting...have to see what becomes of it.

Comment

The video doesn't seem to want to load. When I try to load it I get this error:

Cannot open. Please verify that the path and filename are correct and try again.
                I'm not suprised. About ten years ago an object was spotted over Chilliwack in BC heading south. It was at very high altitude and appeared to be paced by a couple of military jets of US origin at a much lower altitude. The story with video was aired one morning and by evening had disappeared without trace. I happened to snag a frame of the video before it was taken down.

This is the sort of contrail that would be expected at an altitude of well over 100,000 feet. It doesn't fan out like that at lower altitude. The only problem is that there isn't anything that flies that high. Is there?
                Last edited by Evan; 09-12-2006, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Here is a frame from the video shown this morning. This is from the thumbnail that links to the no longer working video. If that is a jet it is at a very high altitude and made a very sharp turn. It isn't possible to turn a regular commercial jet very sharply at such an altitude, it will cause a stall.

Comment

Probably military tests/craft gone bad, or related space junk falling (though does not explain the curve unless maybe a skip effect/refraction/?).

Back in around '98, last time I lived in Phoenix, I got up before dawn to take my parents who were visiting to the airport. Walked outside with a cup of coffee and noticed the most beautiful iridescent “jellyfish” above the Eastern Horizon. It was enormous and appeared to involve a sort of “tangle” of contrails along with the colored vapor. That morning it was all over the radio with speculation and “update at 10” kind of stuff. I heard among other things that it was a test fire from White Sands that had gone bad and was “self destructed” (with those contrails, maybe shot down?) on it’s way to the Phoenix Metro area (or perhaps of other origin headed for the Nuclear plant?).

By noon, nothing but meaningless fluff. No updates, watched the evening news, nothing but more meaningless fluff in the vein of “oh wasn’t it pretty, move along, nothing to see here”... Nah, they wouldn’t cover up anything or lie to the public. Excuse me, I have to go chew some cud...
                    Russ
                    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Maybe it was one of these.

Comment

All I know is we use to try to chase fish in the pacific back in the Navy days.
                        they used to swim at about 100 knots and do 90 degree turns. When we sighted them they would have us turn on the 400 cycle gensets for the anti mine/deguassing loops. Was always told by the brass it was electrical field interference.Also was at a strange base in West by god virginy. drove a truck loaded with electrical equipment and two civies in the back chasing lights in the sky
                        The civies always said tell anybody anything you want they won't believe ya LOL. Now the base is in a book on secert Government bases.
                        WE are not alone!
                        Glen
                        Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                        I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                        All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                          Oh? All the main news organizations are calling it a meteor. Also, multiple sonic booms were heard and it lit up the sky. What sort of jet would that be?
                          I repeated what I'd read over morning coffee. Time marched on and now they say it's a bolide. There were no comments this am about sonic booms. Never heard of a bolide that could turn faster than a jet. What kind of bolide would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                            This is the sort of contrail that would be expected at an altitude of well over 100,000 feet. It doesn't fan out like that at lower altitude. The only problem is that there isn't anything that flies that high. Is there?
                            According to the conspiracy theorists, the US Airforce "Aurora" aircraft, claimed to be the replacement for the SR-71 Blackbird, supposedly travels faster than Mach 5. The popular theory is that it rides on a shock-wave generated from igniting liquid propane injected behind the aircraft.

By comparison, the USAF X-15 rocketplane created in response to a requirement issued by NASA for an air-launched manned research vehicle, had a maximum speed of more than Mach 6 and a maximum altitude of more than fifty miles.

Personally, I think your video is a photon torpedo.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Good eye. It turns exactly like a photon torpedo. So now the question becomes, who is shooting at who?
                              Todd

Comment

Working...
                              X