Color coding steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color coding steel

Can anyone out there tell me if there is a universally used color code for marking steel? I have looked in the bible, but found nothing. I have several pieces of steel marked with white, yellow, purple, and green. There is no number on any of this stuff, and so I am assuming that they were using the color to differentiate one type from another, but I don't know what the colors represent. Any help is appreciated.
    There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

I think the general consensus is, there is no standard color code. It's up to the supplier.

That being said, in my experience yellow tends to be O-1, green tends to be W-1. But I would not be at all surprised to have somebody else respond and say something different.

The only way I can keep it straight is to order the stuff, and when I get it, to write on the steel what it is, with a Dykem marker.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

My solution is super low-tech -- I get most of my stock from Ebay, so when a package comes in I make plain text labels on a labelling machine.
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

There is no universal code- every steel yard does it different.
        I get stainless in my shop where 3/8" is painted red on the ends, 1/2" is blue, and 5/8" is green.

Mystery metal is just that- a mystery. Thats why the government pays so much extra for traceability.

Comment

There's a uniform code in my shop:

There's more about it - for the whole story:
          http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Mach...int/paint.html
          Cheers,

Frank Ford
          HomeShopTech

Comment

from some time spent consulting to the service centre business, I can tell you each devises their own and there is no universal code

Comment

6061= Blue
              2024= Red
              1018= yellow
              4130= pink
              360= orange
              303ss=Lt blue sort skyblue

This is ASAP's in Ann Arbor color code I had them write it down when I won a door prize of assorted metal at Names show two years ago.
              If you now where it came from callem and ask for a list.
              Glen
              Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
              I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
              All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

There is NO standard! Geez! This comes up about six or seven times a year and the answer is still the same.

My W-1 comes with a RED end and O-1 with a Yellow end. I get angle, flat stock (A-36) and sheet CR that also has different colored ends (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Pink, Violet). It generally denotes thickness. It's whatever the supplier decided to slop on the end for whatever purpose they wanted at that particular moment.

Comment

Frank,

I like your system, but the problem is that most stock already comes painted with a non-standardized color scheme.

What do you do with stock that's already painted?

Robert
                  "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

A quick wipe with acetone cleans off the paint that comes on the metal I get. Also cleans off grease, labels, etc.
                    Cheers,

Frank Ford
                    HomeShopTech

Comment

i have not seen any standard. one shop i worked in took the top of a tin can painted it with the color then wrote on it what it was then painted all the bar ends the same color. then hung the lids on a board oer the steel rack.

now this works as long as the guy would repaint the end when he cut a pice off.

Comment

Working...
                      X