Machinery's Handbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinery's Handbook

I'm thinking of getting me a copy of this book. In Joe Martins "Tabletop Maching" he recomends saving money and getting an old edition, he says a 21'st is ok. Any comments on this!?

Axel,
    Depends a lot on what you do and your machinery.
    I see from your email you are from Sweden which like us in the UK are all metric now.
    However if your work and machinery is old fashioned imperial then the earlier versions are the way to go.
    Personally I'd suggest a pre 19th edition as being more home shop orientated.

If you are more modern and metric related then I know I'm going to upset some folk but there are better books than Machinery Handbook.
    MH is still 90% US related as regards standards and sizing. Unfortunatly the US is not a major player now in the modern world.
    This isn't a bash at the US but with more foreign imports from metric related countries the imperial standards are being eroded on a daily basis.

Newnes in the UK produce some good books that are more metric based and cover more SI units and standards than SAE standards.

The later MH books do cover metric based standards hence the referance to getting an earlier version.
    As I said at the start you need to address your own work, machines and standards and buy accordingly. What will suit one person won't suit all.

John S.

[This message has been edited by John Stevenson (edited 02-26-2003).]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I have the 21st edition, and I'm happy with it. For me, I have no reason to update.

Albert

Comment

Axel:
        An alternate is the Modern Machine Shop "Handbook for the Metalworking Industries" by Hanser Gardner Publications
        www.hansergardner.com or www.mmsonline.com

$55.00 US 1st. Publication

Written for and by machine shop owners. Covers modern topics - about the same as Machinery's Handbook, but more upto date and relevant to world wide machining practice. metric is not avoided.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-27-2003).]

Comment

I agree with Thrud.

I just received the HG book "Modern machine Shop" Handbook for the metalworking industries. I have machinery's handbook too, but this new book is better in many respects.

This was the best $55 I have spent in a long time.

All the best to everyone. Dave

------------------

Comment

a search on ebay for machinery's handbook brought 35 hits ($3.00 to $51.00). Don't know how well that would work for someone in Sweden, however

Comment

Oh there is pleny of bookseller who trade worldwide! All you need to do is go to bookfinder.com and print in your request, voila! I bought a near mint book on gunsmithing last month! WWW is awseome!

Comment

I'll second Thruds recommendation for the "Modern Machine Shop" I finally got one on his earlier recommendation and find it to be well written and very easy to use. It fills in where the machinery handbook stops short. Money well spent.

Comment

You could get a newer addition and an older copy of "Manchinery's Handbook" too! They are cheap on Ebay. You can get both for under $40.00 and that would include the S&H. We spent one entire year (3rd) in my Journeymans Machinist classes using the MH as our only text. Just scratched the surface! Have them mailed Bound Printed Matter or Medial Mail whichever is cheaper!
                  Regards, Ken

Comment

I went and looked at Amazon - $44 including shipping.... bought it to - took 20 seconds... Mind boggling how good some of this is getting..... "Modern Machine Shop's Handbook for the Metalworking Industries"

-- jerry
                    dvideo

Comment

Working...
                    X