Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re. Metal Question

Hello I got the cast aluminum ingot today, have faced 1 side, looks good so
    far, cuts good, clean surface. The loaf pan shape, top 6 1/2x20, bottom 5x18, 5 in. deep will cause considerable waste. Hope to minimize w/plan before
    cut. 43 lbs @ .95 lb, don't know if good deal. Scrap man said it should be clean inside. Anyone think this will be good for Q/C tool post & holders? For HSM use on 12x36 Atlas. Any advice/comments appreciated. chiphead42
    chiphead42

Aluminum? You are kidding right?

Comment

No way for tool post or holders out of ingot. You have no heat treatment in the aluminum nor control of the matallurgy. There will most likely be a large central volume of porosity.

If you pick your cuts right, you can make a nice looking set of tool posts and holders out of aluminum ingot but it will be a real trick. You might even get from use out of them but they won't hold up for long.

There's good reason why tool posts and holders are somewhat expensive. One reason is tool holders used right take quite a beating and they have to be made of strong (and thus, espensive) material. They have to locate and register the tools accurately and so they have to be made to close tolerences (also expensive).

If you're going to scrounge materials, look for materials you can identify as suitable for the purposes you intend to use it for rather than buy stuff on spec hoping you might find a use for it.

Most of the time cheap or free stuff is not a good bargain.
      Last edited by Forrest Addy; 09-13-2006, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Does your scrap guy maybe know where it might have came from?

Are there any stampings on it? Or other ID?

Whatever it might be, it will not have the properties I would want for anything other than something to practice with.

It is just a stupid ingot. Poor thing.
        Gene

Comment

Even I don't make tool holders from aluminum.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by topct
            Does your scrap guy maybe know where it might have came from?

Are there any stampings on it? Or other ID?

Whatever it might be, it will not have the properties I would want for anything other than something to practice with.

It is just a stupid ingot. Poor thing.
            Metal is from transmission cases, I was making tool holder from supposed
            good cold roll steel, hit hard spot in last dove tail cut, ruined 2 cutters
            before I realised what it was. I will try this, it will not see heavy use.
            Thanks chiphead42
            chiphead42

Comment

Chippy,
              You didn't say what machine you would be making a tool holder for. Several companies make them for the 7x lathes and the 9x lathes and they hold up pretty well. In the R&D business we frequently had prototypes made of aluminum to demonstrate feasability or provide a model to work from. Sometimes those prototypes stayed in service for the life of the project.

Your problem is you have a melted loaf of aluminum (OK ingot) without any heat or purity controls; so it's shear, tensile, and compressive strength is uknown.

Now that you've machined it square, call it billit and make your toolpost. The experience alone may be worth the cost of the material. If your prototype is successful, make another out of steel, but use the prototype until it is no longer servicable, then you can report back as a knowledgable expert on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryinLV
                Chippy,
                You didn't say what machine you would be making a tool holder for.
                Ummmm...yes he did..
                I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

quote from torker:

"ummmm......yes he did.."

Oops, My bad, brain not fully connected to keyboard

Disregard any irrelevent comment.

Comment

Go for it, but if it was me, I'd stick to the CRS.

Comment

Working...
                    X