saw chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saw chips

What do you do with the saw chips and turnings? I took about 500 lbs of chips to recycler they did not want them. They took all the very small pieces about 1500 lbs. I thought steel was steel.
    SOL

That's contaminated steel,coated with oil,coolant etc,also maybe mixed with aluminum and other.They won't take any chips here,unless they are brass,copper,aluminum and clean.

Only thing I can suggest is fill in some pot holes,or make up some open top moulds to make lawn sculpture.Eventually they all rust together as a solid clump.Maybe get one of those garden nomes and fill him up with chips,after he rots away you'll have a neat rust sculpture
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Yah..... contaminated steel........... yah.......

After they put it on the pile its contaminated worse than when it came out of the barrel. I've been to a scrapyard before...........and seen ............

I have a barrel of it that I figured I'd recycle if I could, anfter it get a bit more full. Apparently nobody will want it?

That when the few shops still around have recycler's tubs out back for theirs..... Of course there is no coolant in their commercial shop scrap,,,,,,,, yah its a racket....

Ditto for the scrap dealers tubs out front of the closed shops with "clean" old machines going into them! Must be clean oil and grease that is so black....

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
        Yah..... contaminated steel........... yah.......

After they put it on the pile its contaminated worse than when it came out of the barrel. I've been to a scrapyard before...........and seen ............

I have a barrel of it that I figured I'd recycle if I could, anfter it get a bit more full. Apparently nobody will want it?

That when the few shops still around have recycler's tubs out back for theirs..... Of course there is no coolant in their commercial shop scrap,,,,,,,, yah its a racket....

Ditto for the scrap dealers tubs out front of the closed shops with "clean" old machines going into them! Must be clean oil and grease that is so black....
        Sometimes they will take them,but they won't give you anything for them,just like white goods and sheetmetal.As smelter food they are worthless unless the oil is stripped out and the contents are known to be clean i.e. no ferrous/non-ferrous mix.

Machinery I recently saw a bunch of sheetmetal machines going to scrap,only the scrap company was charging to haul them off,not paying.It's the new "green" trash economy after all.

Comment

Maybe some one should come up with a way to use the chips. I wonder if I melted them down into ingots would they take them? I know a few people in the electric arc furnace business. EPA would come down on you if you put out any smoke.
          Why does a machine shop have to have a business license and a Hunts factory, doctors or lawyers or financial instutions not?
          SOL

Comment

Starrett made they're "Re-Tapes" which the cases were made from chips and plastic resin.

Comment

i hauled in a load of refridgeraters and frezers full of chips got 3.50 a hundred for them. any time i haul in a car it is full of chips. hot water heaters get filled with chips.

Comment

I have been wondering about pressing chips into bricks or pucks with a hydraulic press. has anyone seen or have any idea how this could be accomplished? That way they could be recycled or thrown in the trash.
                tia
                Herm Williams

Comment

Industry uses something similar. Don't ask what it costs. They're called chip compactors.

http://www.kurtchip.com/

http://www.amadabandsaw.com/product/...hipcompak.html

I'm sure making the compacting part is easy, using a hydraulic ram. It's the feed mechanism that becomes a pain - they use big augers to do it.

HTRN
                  EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

If the chips aren't polluted with oil...

If they steel chips are from a dry cut process, which is a common home shop setup, just chunk'em in a hole in the ground. Leave the hole uncovered and they won't exists inside 6 months, unless you live in the high dessert.
                    James Kilroy

Comment

Originally posted by Herm Williams
                      I have been wondering about pressing chips into bricks or pucks with a hydraulic press. has anyone seen or have any idea how this could be accomplished? That way they could be recycled or thrown in the trash.
                      tia

Some recyclers here do it. Very fine chips aren't profitable because they go right up the flue at the smelters. That's why they's rather have slugs or heavey chips.

Comment

Working...
                      X