OT What are we good at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT What are we good at?

Ok, we see enough posts pointing out the impact of globalization on the US and the state of our manufacturing community, or what's left of it. How about some good stuff on the US.

What are we really good at or make really well. I'll start the list with Lista cabinets, which I am currently drooling over on ebay but can ill afford in the quantity I'd need for the shop Den
    Last edited by nheng; 09-16-2006, 06:14 PM.

Innovation. The US is very good at innovation. The reason comanies leave is because the US government is very good at taxing innovation. There is an old cliche'. " money goes where it is best treated." Right now it's being treated better overseas.

Comment

Yup we are the world's greatest at piling on stupid tax after tax and law after law.I long for the day that we ditch the current tax structure entirely.No income,property or death tax,just sales and tarriff tax.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Made in USA

Den:
        I like your thinking it is easy to look at the negative. Lets try to look at the good. I think some of it is over taxation and over regulation also some is good old fachioned greed . Why take a million dollar a year proffit in the US if you can make Ten Million overseas. Anyway her are a couple of Made in USA companies.
        http://www.maglite.com/index_flash.asp
        and
        http://www.lodgemfg.com/ these guys have been making cast Iron cookware for a long time they made dutch ovens for Louis and Clark
        Regards
        Tin
        Ad maiorem dei gloriam - Ad vitam paramus

Comment

I may just try to stay out of this one

Comment

Hmm, Lista is a Swiss company. My Toyota was made in Kentucky. Like it or not, we're a global community, and that's not going to change.
            Cheers,

Frank Ford
            HomeShopTech

Comment

Frank, They've been here since 60-something but I'm still embarrassed
              Den

Comment

IIRC, income tax was strictly a temporary measure imposed to help pay for WWI.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Den,
                  In my part of the country the major industries are aviation (Boeing), medical and marine. Many shops in the area are working for Boeing or they are a sub contractor for a shop that is working for Boeing. The medical industry is also an area that the US excels in.

My largest contract is with a refrigeration company that builds systems for the Alaskan fishing boats. The units that I build parts for look like small trian boilers. They range from 8" to 16" in diameter. I machine tube sheets that are made with a metal called Bronwite (bronze, zinc, aluminum and some other stuff). The bronwite castings are made at a local foundry.

My Toyota truck was also made in the US, Fremont California, which is a UAW plant.
                  Mark Hockett

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    IIRC, income tax was strictly a temporary measure imposed to help pay for WWI.

It's been an on again off again thing for awhile-

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005921.html
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Rustybolt already said it-innovation. Where I work we have had to innovate to stay in business. We develop the product design, figure out how to manufacture it, and deliver the parts. Eventually, the customer demands price reductions or loose the business. The part has become a worldwide commodity. We either heavily automate to save labor costs, or send the work overseas. In the meantime, we are busy bringing in new product designs in order to keep our workforce employed.

Part of the value we add to the part, wherever it is made, is quality assurance and local representation and response. Not an easy job, and less and less fun as years go by.
                      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

WE are really good at electing idiots for president.
                        "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Hi tech and very expensive weapons.

Also endless torts and legislation.

Comment

Thriving industries

Two thriving industries in this country are the insurance industry and the legal industry. I believe that they are hooked at the hip.
                            lg
                            no neat sig line
                            near Salem OR

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                              Yup we are the world's greatest at piling on stupid tax after tax and law after law.
                              You know our British colleagues pay a lot more taxes than we do, right?

I long for the day that we ditch the current tax structure entirely.No income,property or death tax,just sales and tarriff tax.
                              You would have to give up a lot of basic "Commonwealth" services for that, like schools, firefighters, police, road maintenance...
                              Personally, I think the current 25 - 33% tax rate is fine. I just don't like the way our government wastes it.

For just one example, the $62 Billion dollars in Katrina relief has apparently vanished into a black hole. That's roughly $620 per household right there...
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X