Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boy is This Site Nice...and I mean HSM !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy is This Site Nice...and I mean HSM !

I really appreciate the fast loads here.. spoils me I guess.
    I tried to go to PM tonight and it is a forever job to wait for
    a single page to come up and I am on DSL.
    I imagine the modem guys go nuts.

Thanks Neil for the fine job here!

I just yanked PM off my favorite's menu..sorry Don
    Rich

There is an ActiveX problem on PM effecting some computers...an error after logging into PM shut down IE on my laptop the other day, but this never happens on my other computers. Other than that, PM loads about the same as always for me...be it cable or dialup...not quite as fast as here, but almost.

I noticed about 6:00 pm today PM wouldn't come up at all for about 5 minutes, but back to normal now. Guess it's time to fret at the AM boys about those ads...

Comment

Unfortunately the PM site has had many problems with loading and speed. The problems have been mentioned here and on that site for several weeks and have not been responded to. Long loading times, locking up and being knocked off line becomes tiresome.

Last week, Don finally experienced the loading problem with one of his computers, and is now asking for the information that has been complained about for these many weeks.

While it is a shame to see a site like PM suffer from inattention, it is a benefit to see people like Rich here on a more frequent basis.
      Jim H.

Comment

It is nice to have forums for HSM types. Since its DT's stated wish that the HSM crowd be elsewhere, leaving PM to the pro's I think the "non-pro" forums will see more traffic. It seems a bit shortsighted IMHO for any bulletin board owner to even suggest that people go elsewhere- but its his board... I do appreciate PM's antique machinery forum though, there doesn't seem to be as widely active a venue for that elsewhere.

I think PM's advertising teething troubles will subside once the ad people get their act together.

Regards,

Greg
        Last edited by Greg Menke; 09-17-2006, 11:39 AM.

Comment

I agree...it wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Rich around here more often
          BTW..Rich, I really liked your addition to the "Keeping the help" thread....Well done!
          Russ
          I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Oh cool, another "Problems with the Practical Machinist site" post.....

Again, I have absolutely no problems with it. I have a screamin fast connection and use Firefox...

Wooohoo, lets talk about this all weekend then we can start another one next weekend

Must be some kinda disease around. I have seen so many "tits up" horses I'm gonna have to make a new stick...JRouche
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by D. Thomas
              There is an ActiveX problem on PM effecting some computers...an error after logging into PM shut down IE on my laptop the other day, but this never happens on my other computers.
              Don, did you mean ActiveX or Flash? I think you mean Flash.

The problem I've seen most often mentioned is the browser crash if you don't have the lastest version of Macromedia Flash installed to animate the flashing Haas and Geometric ads.

an error after logging into PM shut down IE on my laptop the other day
              Guess it's time to fret at the AM boys about those ads...
              After the dozens of posts on both boards for the last 5 weeks, yeah, I guess it's time to talk to the AM guys about those ads...
              Last edited by lazlo; 09-17-2006, 01:06 PM.
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche
                Again, I have absolutely no problems with it. I have a screamin fast connection and use Firefox...
                Well if you have no problems JRouche, then PM must be fine, and all the other posters should just shut up, right?

I have had no problems with PM since Don split the General forums, and I'm using the Avant browser.

But there are clearly several problems with the PM site. One is the Hass and Geometric Ads require the latest Flash plugin, and if you don't have it, the poorly-written Ad code crashes the browser.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt
                  I really appreciate the fast loads here.. spoils me I guess.
                  I tried to go to PM tonight and it is a forever job to wait for a single page to come up and I am on DSL.
                  Rich, glad to have you over here! I used to spend most of my time on PM, but as the topics have slowed down a lot lately on PM, I've been spending a lot more time here

Thanks Neil for the fine job here!
                  I'm relatively new here. Who's Neil? Is that IOWolf?

Comment

Who's Neil?

Lazlo,
                    Neil is our long suffering esteemed Host on this board.
                    He is editor of HSM and other Publications at Village Press.
                    Be well.
                    Will A.

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                      Rich, glad to have you over here! I used to spend most of my time on PM, but as the topics have slowed down a lot lately on PM, I've been spending a lot more time here
                      I'm relatively new here. Who's Neil? Is that IOWolf?
                      Neil is the hands off moderator here. Iowolf is just a grumpy member.

Still no problems at PM for me, I just checked and the forum list loaded in 2 seconds and the temporary general loaded in 1.3 seconds. I can even see all the pretty flashing ads up above.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingnut
                        Neil is our long suffering esteemed Host on this board.
                        He is editor of HSM and other Publications at Village Press.
                        Oh, well thanks Neil!

...and not just for this board -- thanks also for Home-shop Machinist Magazines and the "Projects" compendiums!

Comment

For anyone using Firefox there is an extension you can download called Flashblock.
                          It works for me inside PM, I don't see any ads at all and it loads quite quick.

https://addons.mozilla.org/search.ph...ck&app=firefox

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I bragged too soon!

A few days ago I posted that I had no problems on PM (in another, similar thread).
                            Today I was on PM,temp gen forum, thread about way wiper material. While I was there I bookmarked several sources of way material that had links posted by others on the thread. I had closed all windows to these bookmarked links and was back on the last post of the thread.
                            Clicked on the back button to return to the temp general foorum and got an hourglass that hung there for at least 5 minutes, as I got up and went to bathroom and returned to find the hourglass still there.
                            Had to click on my BellSouth homepage, go to favorites, hit the bookmark for PM and get back to the temp geneeral forum in that manner.
                            Strange.
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
                              Well if you have no problems JRouche, then PM must be fine, and all the other posters should just shut up, right?

Yeah, yeah...Thats it

Naw, just seems the Ol thread wont get dead...JRouche

Originally posted by mochinist
                              Neil is the hands off moderator here. Iowolf is just a grumpy member
                              Oh!!!!LOL,
                              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X