Unidentified Frying Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified Frying Motor

I got a free disc/belt sander machine that looks like it'd be handy around the shop, but of course the reason it was free is the motor's a dead soldier. It hums but won't respond to "manual" attempts to get it spinning so I'm ruling out the start cap and thinking it's internal. That'd be fine except someone pulled the sticker and painted it so I haven't a clue was size replacement I need for it. Not a bit of ID on it anywhere.

It carries a 6x48 belt and a 9" disc. That don't seem small so I'm guessing 3/4 HP, but that's only a guess!

RPM wise the smaller pulley is on the motor itself. That means it's "geared" down so again with the guessing, 3650?

The only thing I can say without guessing is it has a 5/8 shaft with a 3/16 key.

Any help or advice is as always appreciated.

Bill

I would guess that 3/4 hp motor is kinda large for that machine but I might be wrong.Alistair p.s good luck laddie
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

What tune is it humming ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

A Sears 6" x 9" belt sander ( http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes )

has a 1.5HP motor. For what that's worth.

Roger
        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Sir John, I thought I heard it humming the first line of Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild". You know, git yer motor runnin' ....

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by pntrbl
            Sir John, I thought I heard it humming the first line of Steppenwolf's "Born to be Wild". You know, git yer motor runnin' ....

Bill
            Nice one 10 / 10

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

As to an old craftsman info. 6x48 belt sander with 9 in.disk needs 1/2 hp.motor, 3450rpm,2-1/2 machine pulley ,2in.motor pulley
              snoopy

Comment

What tune is it humming ?
                60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 ...
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 60 ...
                  LOL-I get it.

Allen

Comment

Oh, the sears has the 1.5 horse motor- that means it's a 3/4 horse. That would be about right for that belt sander. A 1 horse wouldn't be too large.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I have a kalamazoo belt sander , that I am rebuilding , it has a 1/2 hp motor .
                      i.5 hp might not be unreasonable though.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

has a selection of differant machines on page 2566 with all the specs to help you.

Comment

I have a 4"x54" belt with 10" disc and have a 1/3 hp 1725 rpm motor on it and it does just fine. I would think a 1/2 hp 1725 rpm motor would be ok.
                        Last edited by Carld; 09-17-2006, 09:58 PM.
                        It's only ink and paper

Comment

I use a drum sander at home, which uses a 4 inch wide belt that's 3 ft long. The drum is about a foot in diameter to fit that belt onto. That machine has a half horse motor, and that's enough but barely so. We use a 6x72 belt sander at work, and that has a 1 horse on it. I can slow it considerably if I lean on it a little extra, but I usually don't want to do that for the sake of the wood I'm sanding. If I'm contouring on it, I can often slow it to the point where it starts to lose power quickly. It would be obviously underpowered with a lesser motor.

Just trying to give you a sense of how much power would be satisfactory as you use the machine.

One that I wouldn't increase the power on is the drill press. This one has a half horse on it, and I sometimes rely on the fact that I can stop the spindle rotation by hand if something jams. I know just how much torque I'll have to resist while I reach for the off button. A larger motor on it would be dangerous for me.
                          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I believe that there is a wide range of HP applications that would fit your needs, perhaps half, to a horse and a half. For a consistent finish you really dont want the belt to slow or stall often.

What you want to get right is the motor speed. There is a large difference with a 1725 motor or a 3450 spinning that much sand paper.

Comment

Before you go out and buy a new or used motor, you might just open the cover and check that all the connections are solid. It may only be a loose wire.
                              Paul A.

Make it fit.
                              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                              X