Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT higher education

Hello everyone,
    It has been a while since I had a post even though I have been lurking........
    Has anyone used any of the online college programs to obtain Eng. Degree? Does anyone have an opinion about the online colleges? Are these legitimate colleges trying to help the working man ( for a fee of course) to continue education or are these scams? Are these degress respected by employers or are they looked down on since they do not come from a traditional colleges? Seriously thinking about continuing education and this is probably the only way I can, time wise........ Shift work sucks, rotating shift work ( 3 on 3 off 12hr. days for a month or so then switch to nights for a month or so ) really, really SUCKS.
    I value the honest, straight forward opinions I have received from this group in the past and I am sure I will these. Remember to say a prayer for our troops and SUPPORT them in any way possible.
    Thanks for your time,
    Kevin
    Kevin Middleton
    Rome Georgia

Here in Canada and in British Columbia most higher educational institutions have online programs. You can do most of the work toward a degree at home but they usually require some physical attendance, normally one year. The online courses cover just about anything that is practical to deliver that way and are offered by very respectable institutions. This is common here because of the very dispersed nature of the population and the long distances between major centers. Proctored exams are commonly sat at the local community college by arrangement or asocciation with the university.

I am sure there are many scams and some of them are just plain phony "degrees" printed on parchment that you can try to use to BS an employer.

Remember to say a prayer for our troops and SUPPORT them in any way possible.
    Yeah. We lost 4 more today in Afghanistan. They are sending over the battle tanks for them. About time.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

"Remember to say a prayer for our troops and SUPPORT them in any way possible."

Vote Democratic next election?

Comment

MIT has a lot of online course material, and that's certainly a legit engineering school. I'm not sure whether they offer degrees based on online courses though.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Most are real, you can check to see if that program is actually certified.

University of Phoenix is a big one. Capella (sp) University is another.

But they are expensive. It seems to be the same as attending a University.

I know my dad obtained his MBA doing some online courses and some actual classwork on an off site location.

Comment

Over 40 years of working for, working with, hiring and firing blue collars and college educated people the final verdict we've arrived at, is:

'A college degree should aid in helping get the first job. From there on, success depends on the employee.'

Regarding those who work their ass off contributing to a mail order paper mill, your smarts could have been better applied finding ways and means to finance an education, or you have a super ability of sticktoitiveness.

Good luck, G

Comment

anything that gives more skills or credentials it it get you to where you want to be is a good thing I guess,

mostly agree with Guido, getting a degree online in isolation will take a lot of determination & discipline, beside the people you meet and relationships can end up being as important as the content.

where i disagree is that a professional degree or specific certification courses can be a career lifter long after that first job. you can improve your job qualifications long after that first job, but its got to be specific and relative; a renaissance art course isn't getting you a promotion at the plant.

from a sort of head space view, sometimes just taking some action, any action, can lead to new and better things. serendipity is the word the newagers use. remember that old line, insanity is continuing to do the same thing a expecting a different result.
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 09-19-2006, 12:34 PM.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I have a 4 year degree from a well known CT university and I'll be making all my money with the 2 year Aviation Management degree im currently pursuing. OFcourse the 4 year degree will open more doors more quickly down the road.
                and DR, sure if you want to cut and run!

Comment

"and DR, sure if you want to cut and run!"

Yep, I see your point. We should stick around for another 10,000+ casualties. We'll show those nasty terrorists a thing or two.

Comment

Originally posted by DR
                    "and DR, sure if you want to cut and run!"

Yep, I see your point. We should stick around for another 10,000+ casualties. We'll show those nasty terrorists a thing or two.
                    Thank god liberals dont run the USA

Comment

Originally posted by BillH
                      I thought Homer Simpson did ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by DR
                        We'll show those nasty terrorists a thing or two.
                        The really convenient thing is that if you don't go after them they'll come after you. Get a papershuffling job in a highrise office building in New York, and maybe you'll be able to see them coming.

Comment

Originally posted by BillH

You're right again, the neocons are doing such a super job we can all go to bed at night knowing our government is doing what's best for us.

Doesn't it warm your heart when they invade other countries (Mission accomplished, right?).

Gawd, I almost wish we'd have a hurricane where I live. George and boys'd rebuild us better than we ever were (aren't they lucky in New Orleans having such a wonderful president?).

Comment

This is going downhill fast.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              This is going downhill fast.
                              Yes Evan it is, arguing with a liberal is like winning the special olympics...
                              There is something to be gathered by all of this, from an intellect point of view.
                              The two sides in the USA, are so completely opposite of each other in ideology, a polar opposite if you will, it seams too perfect to be born from natural selection.
                              You have the weenie liberals who will cut the defense spending and pull out our troops leaving us vulnerable to attack later down the road, and the conservatives who will defeat terrorism and put emotion to the side to make sure the job gets done so our children can have the same freedoms that we all grew up.
                              In this modern day, you have Europe which seams to have given up with their millitary might, and the USA whom wants to make their millitary the best in the world. It shouldnt be any surprise as to why the USA is always looked upon as the savior of the world or the meanie big super power that makes everyone else look weak(cause they are).

Comment

Working...
                              X