what a cheek ebay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what a cheek ebay

I bid on some woodworking chisels and got finally out bid.I thought I am not paying that much and soon found somewhere else and bought them locally.Then about an hour ago I get an email from guess who ebay the highest bidder has pulled out they congratulate me and tell me once again I am the highest bidder I withdrew my bid immediately what a nerve I don't need two sets of the same thing thanks ebay.What do you make of that is this right?Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

If the auction is still active, and the high bidder pulls his bid, the next higher bidder automatically becomes the high bidder. It is a default, and about the only way to deal with the situation.

If the auction is completed, and the high bidder does not pay, the seller might be offer the item to the next bidder, but there is no requirement to buy at that point.
    Jim H.

Comment

hmmm so once you're out bid you have to retract your bid to be safe? what a hassle. Buying sight unseen and more importantly, the cost of getting it across the border, keeps me away from flea bay...but his sort of policy is just going to create all kinds of problems and ill will. it would make more sense to give you the option of resurrecting your bid.

Comment

Alistair,
        This guy could be scamming you. If you bid on the item higher than what the current bidding was, the seller could have one of his buddies keep bidding until he goes over your maximum amount. Then all he has to do is retract his bid after he pushed you up to your max. Sometimes if the auction ends with the other guy as high bidder, after the auction you will get the email that the buyer backed out and the seller will sell the item to you at your highest bid.
        Mark Hockett

Comment

It is too much of a hassle to use it as a scam.

The point is never bid more than you are willing to pay for an item. If it was worth that then, it should be worth that now.

I have noticed that the second chance offers have been changed recently. If bidder A & bidder B get into a bidding war, and bidder A wins, the second chance offer to bidder B is now at his last bid before the war started. For example if bidder B has a $20.00 bid, and he and Bidder A bid the item to $100.00 in $5.00 increments, A wins the item for $100.00, the second chance for B goes all the way back to $20.00, as long as they are the only two bidders. That approach may apply in this case as well.
          Jim H.

Comment

Received the same offer. Send $1500 out of country for a 10EE.
            I emailed him back that I would pick up the machine and pay cash for it, didn.t answer. It is at least this time a scam.
            re
            Herm Williams

Comment

I had a recent E-Bay experience that turns me off from ever participating in their auctions. I bought a height gauge advertised as used with minimal wear in it's wood case. The price was OK and the goods appeared as advertised. When the package arrived the case was found to be in less than good condition around the BACK that was not displayed. The gauge had the pointer assembly missing and the vernier magnifying lens chipped. BTW, I prefer verniers.
              All the defects were not a real issue to me since I fabricated a new pointer as per catalog pictures from the maker The Fred V. Fowler Co. The lens was also not a problem I have optical crafting resources.
              Anyway in my feed back about the seller I gave him a negative rating. Aha! the plot thickens.
              You would not believe the tons of messages from E-Bay I got telling me that giving a seller a negative comment reflected on me as a "poor buyer" and that my buyer's stars would be removed if I did not go back and write a good or satisfactory feedback comment for the seller. I ignored all this crap but my mailbox was filling daily with messages from E-Bay. I finally went back and ammended my feedback. I changed it to a positive rating and wrote in : "This seller is either a crook or mentally incompetent. Watch out for him."
              Guess what? The E-Bay automated system does not read content only the positive or negative rating. So now I'm OK and I got my stars back. Like I need the damn things. However heard that it is the buyer who is to blame for a bad purchase?
              How about the subtle psycological manipulation. You don't outbid anyone, you WIN!
              The whole thing stinks. There are no bargains there and besides any tool I need should be in good conditiuon and not require I repair it or question it's usefulness. Never was it more true than Caveat Emptor.

Comment

It could be a scammer but Jim thanks for explaining ebay did not explain this it was as if I had no choice.They must understand that when I get outbid and days pass buy that I have a right to get myself the article elsewhere.It's just the way I was told I am very lucky to get an article I really did not win in the first place regards to all Alistair

Comment

**** I always thought that ebay went out of there way not to get involved with feedback etc.Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by **** Plasencia
                    I had a recent E-Bay experience that turns me off from ever participating in their auctions. ...Anyway in my feed back about the seller I gave him a negative rating. Aha! the plot thickens.
                    You would not believe the tons of messages from E-Bay I got telling me that giving a seller a negative comment reflected on me as a "poor buyer" and that my buyer's stars would be removed if I did not go back and write a good or satisfactory feedback comment for the seller. I ignored all this crap but my mailbox was filling daily with messages from E-Bay. I finally went back and ammended my feedback. I changed it to a positive rating and wrote in : "This seller is either a crook or mentally incompetent. Watch out for him."
                    Guess what? The E-Bay automated system does not read content only the positive or negative rating. So now I'm OK and I got my stars back. Like I need the damn things. However heard that it is the buyer who is to blame for a bad purchase?
                    Far be it from me to call this a fib but Ebay does not send email about feedback nor do they allow modification of feedback once left. What was the item? I'd like to see the transaction.

Comment

I have to agree with Ken. I have left perhaps a dozen negative feedbacks. eBay will question at the time the feedback is entered, but I have never received e-mail from eBay after it has been left. Once left, feedback cannot be changed. It can be withdrawn.

What was the seller's response when you informed him of the problems before leaving him negative feedback?

eBay is caveat emptor, but the buyer can and should contact the seller if they have any questions at all regarding the item. If the seller is legit, he will probably be more than happy to answer questions. If he does not respond, factor that into your bidding. Don't wait until ten minutes before the auction ends though, ask a day or two early.
                      Jim H.

Comment

CKent in Texas, how are you? Incredibly well I suppose.
                        If it pleases you to believe this story about the negative feed back is a fib you might as well call it a bold lie. It doesn't bother me. I am dreadfully sorry I didn't think to keep all the records to show you.
                        Now if you can go back and read it does say it was a height gauge from F.V. Fowler which is where I got the info to make the exact pointer duplicate. The reason for having to make the pointer and for the seller not providing the missing pointer is that Fowler has no spares. There was no point in returning the gauge which was/is in like new condition simply for an easily replaced pointer. My "beef" was that the seller either hid the fact or is incompetent in the selling of machine tools. If the missing part had been declared the selling price would naturally been less. Therefore the implication for a motive to defraud. He also apears to be a commercial outfit. I can however go back to my E-Bay page and retrieve his e-mail address and you can pursue this lie on you own.

Comment

OK. I give up. It is a lie. Just forget I burdened you all with a stupid lie.

Is it possible that a commercial seller gets a different treatment than indivial sellers? Commercial sellers provide more sales commisions.

Comment

Maybe, but sellers of all types get better treatment than buyers on Ebay, that's where their money comes from.

Joe

Comment

All the sellers in the world are worthless if no one buys from them. The seller's money has to come from somewhere.

eBay favors no one. They are little different than the trader papers, they are merely acting as agents for bringing a buyer and seller together.

You seldom hear of the problems with buyers on sites like this, but there are just as many buyers out to scam the sellers as the other way around. The negative feedbacks I have left have all been for non paying bidders.
                              Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                              X