Any Good Lathe Projects Lately?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Good Lathe Projects Lately?

Have a pile of slugs I'd like to do anything with. Just a pile of CRS rounds ranging from 1.5" - 3" in diameter and 1" - 7" in length. I'd like to maky some widgets with these. I'm already planning on making a pair of machinists jacks. Read an article lately about a clamp for some 1-2-3 blocks, thinkin about making some of those.

But past that I don't really know what they're good for. Anybody make any handy or useful things in the lathe or even the mill lately? Care to give me some ideas? I don't need a drawing or a sketch, just an idea. I've already done some internet searches and have a couple of good websites. I think I might go by the library tomorrow and see if I can find any old copies of HSM or something similiar.

Any ideas appreciated !

why not make your own bullnose!! seems you have it all except the bearings! maybe you can get one from a water pump!

Steve

Comment

Welcome to the Zoo Catman!

CRS kind of limits "tooling" projects but there's lots of stock there that will give you some carving experience. Fill us in on what you have in the shop and why you bought them. A hobby or background will jolt some more answers.

Comment

Bushing Drivers for driving seals and bronze bushings in and out of motors, pumps, ect.

Last project on the lathe was a small special bushing for a little motor. Made repairing my uncle's lil old weed eater possible. Material cost more than the weed eater!!

But he likes it. The whole thing weighs less than my 3/8 drill!! Good for his small yard.

uute

Comment

Originally posted by menace
          why not make your own bullnose!! seems you have it all except the bearings! maybe you can get one from a water pump!

Steve
          If you do machine the final cut whilst it's completed and in the tailstock to ensure concentricity.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

A handy little tool I made was a gizmo to help keep a tap straight when tapping on the lathe which allows you to use both hands on the tap handle; which can be really helpful especially when tapping small diameter holes. It consists of two machines parts, a spring, and a button head cap screw. The machined parts are:

#1. A piece with a 60 degree included angle machine on one end, like a center, with a smaller diameter behind the angle. The opposite end drilled and tapped for the button head cap screw.

#2. The other piece has two different diameters, and a thru hole drilled with slight clearance for part #1.

Assembly of parts: slide the spring over the end of part #1. Then slide the larger diameter of part #2 directed towards the 60 degree portion of part #1, holding the spring between the included angle of part #1 and the larger diameter of part #2. Hopefully the head of the button head cap screw is of a large enough diameter to hold Part #2 onto Part #1, but not so big that the jaws of the drill chuck grab it instead of the smaller diameter of part #2.

Use: the gizmo is put in a drill chuck in the tail stock, gripping on the smaller diameter of part #2. The tap and tap-handle are aligned with the hole to be tapped. The tail-stock spindle advance so the included angle of the gizmo rides in the center drilled portion of the tap handle or tap, and some load is applied thanks to the spring. Then you can use both hands to operate the tap handle, instead of using one to operate the tap handle and the other to advance the tail-stock spindle when using a center to keep things aligned. As the tap advances, you just advance the tail-stock spindle to keep a load applied and things centered.

I hope this wasn't too confusing, as I'm not very good at decriptions. But when I saw this little tool a friend of mine had made, and used it; I had to have one.

Larry

Comment

Working...
            X