Metric in american collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metric in american collets

A guy just e mailed me from Europe. He said he has metric end mills and metric collets. He was wondering if his metric end mills would fit imperial collets (imperial meaning USA I guess.) I know in wrenches some sizes are the same like 15mm and 11/16 19mm and آ¾.
    What do you guys think.
    Thanks
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

No. Not well enough to work properly.

I have a dandy end mill that looks for all the world like a 3/8" shank end mill. But it's not. It's 10mm, and it will not fit a 3/8" collet.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Only one that will is the 3/4" - 19mm combination.
      The 5/8" - 16mm is very close and sometimes will work depending on the collets.

Next common sizes are 1/4" - 6mm, 3/8" - 10mm, and 1/2" - 12mm, all of which are quite a way out.

If you are on the ER series of collets though this doesn't apply as they have a full millimetre of travel or 40 thou and you can hold 5 imperial sizes and 5 metric sizes in just 5 collets.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Leave it to Sir John to give the definitive reply!

As a side note, I'm pretty sure you can get metric-size end mills with imperial-size shanks, but I don't think that's the question to hand.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Hexhead,
          What's your collet system? You may be able to get metric collets and use the metric cutters. Might only need 3 or 4 sizes for end mills. Just a thought.
          uute

Comment

One of the things I'm experiencing at the moment is the manufacturers are moving the goal post again.

Most small milling cutters are based on the shank size of the smallest collet, in imperial this is 1/4" and in metric it's 6mm.
            so you get 1/4" shanked cutters with a 1/8" or similar cutter ground on, same in metric.

Now it's very popular for the manufactures to grind the cutter directly onto a blank of the same size so you are getting things like 3, 4 and 5mm cutters ground onto the same size blanks.

Only problem with this is that many collet chucks don't have these sized collets, end mill holder also suffer with the same problem.

Industry which has moved onto double angle collets years ago don't suffer from this problem and it's industry / costs that are driving this change over.

For anyone with existing equipment then you don't have a choice only on what cutters you buy but anyone having to make a current choice on a tool holding system would do well to look at the ER series of collets to see if they can address their needs.

The ER series are one of the very few that can do work holding and tool holding with the same collets and have less to the set than others.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Got to be a little smarter

A friend of mine and I recently went to the local Lowes tool department. As we were searching through the dept. a clerk asked if we were finding what we needed. My friend immediately seized the moment, and pointed to a 10 inch "Crescent wrench", and told the clerk that he was looking for that size, but that he really needed it in metric. Without hesitation, the clerk responded that he had been in the department for a long time and that he was sure he had never seen such a wrench there, but that he was almost certain that he had seen one in the local Sears store. My friend looked over at me and in all sincerity suggested that we go there before someone else discovered it and bought it. When they said that good help is hard to find, I think they must have had that poor fellow in mind!
              There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

My friend immediately seized the moment, and pointed to a 10 inch "Crescent wrench", and told the clerk that he was looking for that size, but that he really needed it in metric.
                Perhaps these will do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Learn something every day

I'll certainly show my friend...I'm sure he can use the laugh if not the wrenches!!
                  There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

Working...
                  X