OT - Computer hard drive/OS upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Computer hard drive/OS upgrade

I have 4 PC's running on a wireless network in my home and workshop. I would like to upgrade the "main" PC in the house (the one with the cable modem, router, all the network settings, etc) to a 7200 rpm drive and change from W98 to W2000. I'm deathly afraid of loosing all my data and also the network "magic" that I don't understand very well.

Can I install the new drive as the master, boot from a W98 floppy and install W2000 on it, then somehow transfer all the difficult stuff from the old HD to the new and everything still run OK? Or would it work better to do the new drive swap/mind-meld thing with W98, then upgrade to 2000, keeping FAT32? The other problem is that there's a couple of programs on the old HD that I'd like to keep but I've (stupidly) misplaced the the original CD's.

Come to think about it, with all the new stuff coming out, is XP available real cheap somewhere? If so, will it function OK, network-wise with the combination of OS's I have on the other PC's....ie: W98 and W2000?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

this computer, is it just being used for NAT? You know linux will do all of that for you. Ofcourse you will need to learn it.
    You can buy an XP OEM cd for 99$ or cheaper some places. Dont know what the specs are of your computer. If it can boot off a bootable cd, just start fresh. Ofcourse you should back up the files you want over the home lan, you do have file sharing turned on right? Thats one of the main uses for a home lan.

Comment

NAT? My bad, not sure what you mean.

Linux looks cool and I would love to get out from under Microsoft but I don't think I could handle the frustration of learning a new OS plus new CAD, CNC, and photo editing software. The older I get, the less patient I am!

Yup, everything is shared and I copy all my critical files across the network to 2 different PC's for backup.

It's a PIII 900 with 512 meg ram. I worry about getting everything to work together again if I do a complete install from scratch. I've never done it but have been told that plugging in a new drive along with the old allows all the existing settings and data to be transfered from the old to the new drive, using some type of transfer utility, so I don't have to painstakingly rebuild every last little detail of network settings, email, IE favorites, etc, etc.
      Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Do you have backup software? I use Drive Image ( which is now called Ghost ).

Get your new operating system software ( WinXP SP2 would be best since Win2000 will be unsupported sometime in the near future ). Install your new HD and restore the backup to it.

Then install Win2000 or WinXP on the hard drive. Either will install "over" Win98 but not destroy your other software.

If this fails in any way or causes you problems, you still can install your original hard drive back in the computer and not have lost your original system.

Comment

OK, that sounds pretty easy! So the swap from FAT32 with W98 to NTFS in XP's not a problem as far as losing data?
          Milton

Comment

Originally posted by ****EYBIRD
            OK, that sounds pretty easy! So the swap from FAT32 with W98 to NTFS in XP's not a problem as far as losing data?

No problems there but you don't have to go NTFS, you can retain FAT32 but it's a little slower I think. As suggested Ghost the old drive to the new drive then install W2k or XP as an upgrade, you're programs and settings will still work. Stay with parallel ATA as you might have trouble if you install a SATA card and drive. Besides last I checked the parallel drives where cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by ****EYBIRD

I had a 30 GB drive with 15 gigs of data using fat32 used as storage , It was formated to NTFS by some fool messing around.

I used a program called ZAR , http://www.z-a-recovery.com/. I was able to recover all the data.

Its a good one to try if you ever have a drive go wacky and need to recover data. Even the demo works but limits you to 4 directories per time you start the software.
              Last edited by tattoomike68; 09-24-2006, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Maybe just buy another one?

Specifications
                • Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz
                • 256MB DDR / 40GB HDD
                • CD-ROM Drive
                • Microsoft Windows XP Pro.
                • Refurbished / Off-Lease
                While Supplies Last!

$199.99 ( not a lot more than WinXP on eBay )

More Information
                ITEM # J156-3270
                Deal Ends 9/30

www.tigerdirect.com
                Last edited by Fred White; 09-25-2006, 07:04 PM.

Comment

To any other paranoid computer neophytes that may have read this thread; here's how things went.

I downloaded Seagate's HD "DiscWizard" utility and followed the instructions. I was SO paranoid, I drug an older PC down out of the attic and tried everything on it first before committing to futzing around with the "real" one.

After that worked OK, I did everything as instructed on this machine (I'm on it now so it musta worked) and found that it booted from the new drive and EVERYTHING worked fine, just faster. Just for grins, I took out the new drive and reinstalled the old one to see if it would still boot in case something bad happened. Eureka, that worked too!

Feeling very proud of myself, I decided to upgrade to WIN2000...BAD IDEA! After all the smoke cleared, it booted up, all my programs ran great except I had no email or internet connections. I kept getting an error message about WIN Installer is unable to find MSBN.msi. I fought that for hours and finally decided that my MS Wireless Network software wouldn't run on 2000 and needed to be uninstalled/reinstalled. CATCH 22....you can't uninstall unless the install program will load! Oops.

I ended up re-doing the whole thing back to W98 using the old drive to re-write the new drive all over again and all is well now. Some other time when I get my courage up (and the $$$), I will try again to upgrade (probably XP) but this time I'll uninstall the network software before starting the process. That way, I should be able to reinstall the network stuff from XP and it should be OK...maybe.
                  Milton

Comment

Working...
                  X