O/T, Antique Medical Instruments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T, Antique Medical Instruments

Since the membership of this board has a wealth of knowledge I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of a reputable appraiser of antique medical instruments. I've got a set, that were given to me by an 80 odd year old physician and the set had been his fathers. I'm just trying to ascertain their value for insurance purposes. Any help is appreciated.
    John B

Try contacting these people.

http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/medmuseum/index.html
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

medical instruments

Jr45- What are the insruments? I work for a medical company that has been making otoscops and opthalmoscopes for 85+ years.
      Just interested.

Sid

Comment

Sid, there are a couple of scapels, with interchangeable blades and believe it or not some silver items. One of these appears to be for doing a venipuncture and the other is an honest to God silver catheter. There are more, I'll try to post a pic later Tuesday.
        John B

Comment

Silver has antibacterial properties.

Comment

Funny you should mention that about silver Evan , in response to your ear ache thread i was going to say that i remember the standard treatment for ear infections ,(which are probably usually fungal due to the wet conditions inside the ear )was Silver Nitrate .meant black ears and neck though , but it worked.

Comment

In the SE Asia school of jungle medicine, many odd things were used to treat fungal infections. One was Gentian Violet, worked great, but the purple stain took forever to wear off. Another good item for fungal infections is plain old vinegar!
              John B

Comment

Unfortunately none of those treatments are available because of my perforated eardrum. Most such infections are only of the outer ear and vinegar works well in that case but the acid can destroy the inner ear if it gets in there.

JR, did you ask about these instruments once before or was that somebody else?

Comment

Evan, I may well have asked before! I'm suffering from having been hit in the head way too many times. I guess I should have done a search before posting this.
                  John B

Comment

[making otoscops and opthalmoscopes for 85+ years.] Damn Sid; you're an older fart than I am. Evan, have you tried [ear candles]?

Comment

No, no ear candles. That isn't going to fix my problem. I have a middle ear invasive aspergillus niger fungal infection (otomycosis).

Comment

I knew a girl once that could really otomycosis.

Edited to say,
                        This is not really funny now that I think about it. If It was my ear I'd be concerned. Take care Evan.
                        Last edited by topct; 09-27-2006, 06:46 PM.
                        Gene

Comment

If that's the same babe....she was good at gymnastics, too.

Comment

Working...
                          X