BP Q's from an FNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BP Q's from an FNG

I'm working on getting a J-head Bridgeport back up and running after 10 years of setting idle. Spent most of the day today scrubbing it and came up with a buncha questions.

Lube for one or two. There's a pair of zerk fittings on every slide. 6 total. Looks to me like your typical axle grease was being used in the past. Is that OK?

There's numerous oil cups for twice daily attention according to a plate on the machine and I'm thinking light 10wt non-detergent. The same plate says to grease the spindle bearings once a year tho. I haven't a clue on how to do that.

One end of the rear wiper is broken off. Is that something I can buy or am I gonna be after a "parts machine"?

If the broken wiper isn't bad enough ya oughta see the apron for protecting the knee from chips. It's screwed to the back of the cross slide and that's about the only thing holding the 2 pieces together. Split right down the middle. The other ends are bungee'd around the base and if ya ask me the whole affair looks pretty stupid. Got to be a better way.

Backlash. I locked the X table down and could still freely turn the handcrank 40-50 thou. Can that be adjusted? New nuts maybe?

The knee lock is outa whack too. Trying to remember but I think it's running into the base before it gets anything tight.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bill W.

Originally posted by pntrbl
    There's a pair of zerk fittings on every slide. 6 total. Looks to me like your typical axle grease was being used in the past. Is that OK?
    No. That's an Alemite fitting for a pressurized oil gun. Use way oil. There's a article on MetalWebNews on how to modify a cheap grease gun to work with oil. If the previous owners used grease, I would flush it out by forcing mineral spirits through the fittings, and then flooding with way oil until the oil channels are clear.

I locked the X table down and could still freely turn the handcrank 40-50 thou. Can that be adjusted? New nuts maybe?
    There's an anti-backlash adjustment on the acme nuts, but they work better if you saw them through. There was a thread here around a month ago with pictures. Should be easy to find.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Wow! Thanks Lazlo. I had no idea. I've got a gallon of VG ISO 68 Way Oil the manual recommended for a Logan Lathe. Sounds like I'd better figure out how to get some of that squirted in the Bridgy as well.

Bill W.

Comment

Bp Backlash

Bill,

The lead screw nuts are adjustable. They have a saw cut through them that you adjust with a screw that pulls them together, making the thread bind slightly. Be careful not to get them too tight. Sometimes an old machine will have had most of it's wear in the middle of the table and none at the ends. When you get the lash out of the travel in the middle it is so tight at the ends that you can't turn the handle.

Also, be aware of the set screw in the middle tee nut slot midwaise of the table. There is a mark on the saddle that, when lined up with the mark on the table, allows you to oil the nuts for the lead screws.

As for greaseing the spindle bearings, I have never heard of this being done. There is an oil cup that supplies a constant drip of oil to them.

best of luck with your "Bridgy"
        Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Originally posted by pntrbl
          Wow! Thanks Lazlo. I had no idea. I've got a gallon of VG ISO 68 Way Oil the manual recommended for a Logan Lathe. Sounds like I'd better figure out how to get some of that squirted in the Bridgy as well.
          man you have no idea how much grief Lazlo saved you, all I can say is I wish I'd know Lazlo 12 years ago when as a newb i took the grease to my xlo. The ONLY way to recover is complete disassembly

Comment

The thick and ugly globs I cleaned off the zerk's defintely weren't way oil. I'm pretty sure I've got grease in there already!

The whole machine was filthy and that includes the ways on the knee and saddle. Dried up brown crusty gunk is a good description. Coarse steel wool dipped in paint thinner followed by a wash with SOS pads got it down to shiny ways and a chipped up coat of paint. It's clean now.

The knee and saddle were moving smoothly after scrubbing and I haven't got any way oil in them yet so I'm hopeful. I'm wondering about the ways on the table tho. They're upside down up there in the dark and I didn't get in there with the steel wool. Dried up grease might explain the stiffness cuz it sure ain't a lack of backlash!

Got a used wiper plate and new felt kit on the way from H&W Machine for the princely sum of $30. Happy about that.

As usual, thanx to one and all for taking the time ....

Bill W.

Comment

Working...
            X