Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portaband

Hello again,
    I saw a picture of a portaband saw in a table top clamp set up. Has any one here saw or used a rig like this? It looked like it would work well in a home shop. As always, please remember to PRAY for and SUPPORT our troops.
    Kevin Middleton
    Rome Georgia

I have one somewhere,delta brand,I think.
    It was fine till I moved on to better saw.

And, we don't need to be reminded,We are aware of the situation.

Comment

I don't have te fixture to make it a "chop/band" saaw, but I have a Porter Cable "portaband" and it is by far the most used power tool I own. I would be lost without it. I never want to see a hack saw again!

Comment

I have a Porta Band, and clamp it in my bench vise when I need a vartical bandsaw.
        Jim H.

Comment

There are pictures of a home made stand in the metalworking drop box. description and pictures.

Once the 400k picture opens, IE will probably resize it and you won't be able to read it. Move your mouse over the bottom of the picture and click on the icon that pops up (see image below), the picture will return to it's full multi page size.

Last edited by JPR; 09-29-2006, 09:40 AM.
          John

Comment

They had one in the shop I used to work in. Worked great. The only complaint I have is that it used a chain as the clamp (like on pipe-threading machines). It tended to damage the edges of square-stock. It also lacked a bit in the rigidity department, but I'd take it any day over a hacksaw.

--Ben

Comment

Portaband

Thanks for the replies. Great job JPR ! That is exactly what I had in mind. I will have to put that on my project list. I need a vertical bandsaw, but it is out of the question for now. I can get by with the vise set up in the pic. for a while.
              Thanks again, Please remember to PRAY for and Support our troops and their families.

As long as I have family, and friends that are actively engaged in our military services I will ask you to remember them in your PRAYERS. And also to try and support them and their families.......May GOD bless.......
              Kevin Middleton
              Rome Georgia

Comment

Thats it,push your political views AND Religion down our throats. :P

Comment

[[Support our troops and their families.] Phony. Why don't you send them some body armor instead of praying? Don't forget, Muslims pray too. The body armor is alot more helpful.

Comment

JPR:

Nice jig for the band saw. I have used a few different makes of those saws, they always wore me down, (sucked working overhead while standing on a ladder). I never invested in one for the home shop, maybe it is time to reconsider?
                    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

The setup in the pics may even be a little better than the setup made by Porter Cable. The PC setup has a bolt & nut as the pivot. As you make a cut they want to loosen and it allows the saw to run out of square. If you try to tighten it you can't move the saw.

Comment

Here is mirco marks version with a pretty good picture.
                        http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82563
                        And here are Harbor frights three they have one a milwaky rebuild.
                        http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearc...dsaw&Submit=Go
                        to bad they don't come with the stand attachment.
                        Glen
                        Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                        I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                        All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

The setup in the pics may even be a little better than the setup made by Porter Cable.
                          I have not seen that one, but my Dewalt 14" metal chop saw has always been a little loose.

I should mention the stand was posted Bob Engelhardt. I thought it was one of the better made units, homemade or commercial.
                          John

Comment

"Thats it,push your political views AND Religion down our throats."
                            If all one has to do is to request thoughts and prayers for you to declare that he is pushing political views and religion down your throat, you must not be all that confident in your own views or godlessness. Certainly, anyone with any *real* conviction that they are right is not that easily offended by someone else holding a view that may not agree with their own. If you don't think or pray, then the request has nothing to do with you, but you could just leave the rest of us alone.

Don't wear your feelings on your sleeve. The man has family "in harm's way". Many wars were fought to guarantee canman's freedom of religion and your right to hold his views in disdain. Many did not understand or agree with the politics of the time then, either.

It's funny how some folks feel controlled when anyone talks about their religious views...but then they don't hesitate to control others by telling the religious folks they have no right to speak freely.
                            Paul
                            Paul Carpenter
                            Mapleton, IL

Comment

Working...
                            X