Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle Type Die Holders

Hi,
    Due to my previous screw threading problems I ordered a new die and holders.
    Whilst looking through the catalogue (big mistake I cant pass tools without wanting them)
    I saw this item listed (Spindle Type Die Holder) and thought that would be nice to have it might speed up threading.
    So now having the said thing to hand I now realise I do not know how it should work as the die holder is free to rotate on the bit that goes in the tail stock. Tried searching but no info on how it is used!!!
    Peter (to many tools)
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

There are a couple of different types, so I am not sure which you have.

The ones with the floating holder allow you to clamp the fixed part in a drill chuck in the tailstock to align the die. The head is free to turn, and will travel down the fixed part as the thread progresses. You can thread by hand, or hold the handle when power threading. Make sure the handle is short enough to clear things on the lathe, and simply release the handle when the desired thread length has been reached.

These are handy accessories, and are also easily made. Most of the time when I am singlepointing a thread, I will finish it with a tailstock mounted die. The singlepointing assures the thread is true, and the dieholder gets it to the proper size .
    Jim H.

Comment

The type I have purchased is the plain free floating type, I was coming to the conclusion that you held the outer bit with your hand as it has a knurled finish.
      Your explanation certainly explains its use, it was just that I could not see how a positive drive could be maintained, as it is one will need a strong grip.
      I have often wondered about power tapers and how many taps they break as they can be broken by hand.!!
      Peter
      I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Assuming it's what I think it is, just hold it by hand. Threads up to 1/4" shouldn't be a problem.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

No relation to this holder, but I was reminded that I'd seen a reference to one that sounded fairly handy. It had some sort of cone clutch in it so pressing the handle in one direction locked the die holder to the tailstock and releasing it let the die spin free. I haven't seen drawings of such. Anyone run into something like that? If so, does it make a good way to work or not as good in practice as in theory?

Jan
          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Not sure how your is designed, but this is similar to one by Tom Verity in the May/June HSM magazine.

It has a 5/8" shaft is that has been turned down so it will fit into the chuck of the tail stock. The die is placed in the end with the appropiate sized bore. With the lathe off and the brake set, you manually turn the die holder. Once things get too tight, a 3/8" bar is placed in the die holder for leverage.

Last edited by JPR; 09-29-2006, 06:55 PM.
            John

Comment

As JPR said, just use a bar to give some extra leverage. You may have to modify the die holder to provide a place for the bar, though I'd be surprised if there wasn't already a hole for that purpose. It is very important (for your safety and that of your lathe) that this be used by hand with the spindle stopped.

--Ben

Comment

Actually tapping heads are less likely to break taps because they keep the tap square to the hole. It can be done it you aren't paying attention
                though. I wish I had one for the home shop as they are a real time saver.
                Jon Bohlander
                My PM Blog

Comment

Another simple type is to have the fixed shank in the tailstock with a dowel pin fitted to the parallel part.

The holder has a slot in it and you push the die onto the work to start, it pulls itself along being held by the pin, when you come to the end of the thread you set the assembly so so the pins exits the slot and the die is free to revolve with the work.

You then have to wind off by hand, these are good for larger threads where there is a fair amount of torque and you are worried about holding a holder with your hand.

Main disadvantage with these types is that the holder can only be single ended by virtue of the open slot in the holder.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Just noticed a die holder on Bob Warfield's website.
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X