Rubber for O-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber for O-ring

Are there different kinds of rubber for O-rings? I'm tinkering with air-rifles, and I read something about some kind of "long wearing" better rubber....I know of only "Nitril".

Axel, I don't know about the different types of rubber used in O" tings, but have you considered using "O" rings made of Teflon? Less friction than rubber.

Comment

There's a bunch: Buna-N, Neoprene, Viton, Silicon, Teflon, .... I have no idea which one might be best for your application, though.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Use Viton, it costs more but it is the best for any purpose.

Comment

I would check the spec for each before selecting one over the other. Some are sensitive to various compounds, i.e. OIL!, cleaning fluids, etc. I just can't remember which.

Comment

Neoprene is good for water, not oil....where buna-N(nitrile) is good for oil, not water...

brent

Comment

McMaster-Carr has a description of all the normal gasket materials on their website www.mcmaster.com

Where will this gasket be going in the air rifle? if it's used on a sliding part, then an abrasion resistant material like EPDM will probably work best. If it's sealing a static part, then a Buna-N gasket will work fine.

Viton is good material, but cannot be used on anything used for food. The chemicals in it can leach out, contaminating the food.

Mike

Comment

Get the McMaster catalog. It has descriptions of the various types of O ring materials and their suggested uses. It also has descriptions of many materials that they sell. Everyone on this board should have this catalog.

And no, I have no relationship with them other than as a customer.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Tanks for all the advice so far!

I have searched www and found a place here i Sweden that sells O-ring. They informed me that there is a kin of ring that has a rubber core (vitol) and a teflon casing (outer shell)...

I think I will go with that one and try the Nitril also...

The ring will go on a piston.

Comment

Sounds like a winning combination to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X