"New" Era for the Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Era for the Union

NO one can contemplate current conditions without finding much that is satisfying and still more that is encouraging. Our own country is leading the world in the general readjustment to the results of the great conflict. Many of its burdens will bear heavily upon us for years, and the secondary and indirect effects we must expect to experience for some time. But we are beginning to comprehend more definitely what course should be pursued, what remedies ought to be applied, what actions should be taken for our deliverance, and are clearly manifesting a determined will faithfully and conscientiously to adopt these methods of relief. Already we have sufficiently rearranged our domestic affairs so that confidence has returned, business has revived, and we appear to be entering an era of prosperity which is gradually reaching into every part of the Nation. Realizing that we can not live unto ourselves alone, we have contributed of our resources and our counsel to the relief of the suffering and the settlement of the disputes among the European nations. Because of what America is and what America has done, a firmer courage, a higher hope, inspires the heart of all humanity.

President Calvin Coolidge
    March 4, 1925

Heavy Duty...

Comment

"The great rule of conduct for us, in regard to foreign nations, is in extending our commercial relations, to have with them as little political connection as possible. Europe has a set of primary interests, which to us have none, or a very remote relation. Hence she must be engaged in frequent controversies the causes of which are essentially foreign to our concerns. Hence, therefore, it must be unwise in us to implicate ourselves, by artificial ties, in the ordinary vicissitudes of her politics, or the ordinary combinations and collisions of her friendships or enmities."

George Washington's farewell address

Charles

Comment

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004
        -------------------
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evans reply clearly reflects the delemia facing the people living in the USA, and the lack of suitable replacemants were faced with at election time!

Comment

Ignoring for the moment that Bush said it, it makes perfect sense. We didn't know, for example, that you could demolish two very large buildings in the heart of a major city with just a box cutters and airplane tickets. We weren't thinking like them.

In Seattle some years ago, the stadium they were building for the Washington Huskies collapsed. It was determined the failure was caused by an unknown failure mode. They didn't think of it but did get a good lesson from it.

If you don't examine your weaknesses in war they will be provided to you by a resourceful enemy. What Bush described is what we commonly know as failure mode analysis. The regrettable thing is it came out like one of his lamentable Bushisms and of course the message was lost in the chortles that surely followed, and is mentioned only to ridicule and not to educate.

I yield back my time on the soap box.

Comment

LOL... Evan, that sounds like Kerry's faux pas saying that we should let Iraq rape and kill their own people. We (US) don't need to stop that.

Comment

I still like Ted Nugent's take on the French
                -------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Ted Nugent, a heavy metal guitar legend and devoted (bow) hunter, was being interviewed by a French journalist. Eventually, the conversation turned to his love of outdoor pursuits. The journalist asked, "What do you think the last thought is in the head of a deer before you shoot it? Is it, "Are you my friend?" or maybe "Are you the one who killed my brother?"

Nugent replied, "They aren't capable of that kind of thinking. All they care about is, What am I going to eat next? Who am I going to screw next? and, Can I run fast enough to get away? They are very much like the French in that."
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Ahhh, more political crap. OK...

There are forums you can frequent to bash yer head and thoughts against others who disagree with you.

This is a "machinist" forum and the use of "OT" proceeding your thread header will contribute to the ability of simple folks, such as myself to steer clear of yer babble.

Continuing, you may gain more enjoyment or provide for such entertainment if you would post your thoughts and expressions on one of the following references.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=political+forum

I'm sure some of the local political scum infesting those groups would throughly enjoy you and your companions for a meal.

Don’t inhibit yer natural desire to mix it up with people looking to "show" you what IS the RIGHT political environment.

Jump in and belly up to the real online political "experts". Join the googled groups, each and every one of them.

That may quench yer desire to spill your worldly thoughts on how the country (and World) should be run.

Cause basically I don’t give a S4it. That is why I DON’T subscribe to those forums.

Again, maybe you should. Grow a set and dive in....Go play with the geniuses who "know" what they are talkin about and leave this forum to semi basic machining topics. Oh, unless you are willing to present the topic with a simply placed "OT" description within the shallow header..

Political discussion within non political forums makes me think of the mathematical wiz (in his own imagination) going to the local malt shop to talk shop instead of headin to the local college or university to discuss math with real mathematical wiz's..

Ok, spam bot off, JRouche
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

STOP Voting. Then we will have better politicians. Simple.

Comment

what JR said, but did get a laugh outa Evan;s & weird's posts

Comment

Has any leader of any nation been put under more microscopes and taken out of context as often as this guy by folks who cannot offer a viable alternative? Giving in is not a viable alternative. We have a bunch of media all looking high and low for the next "Richard" **** Nixon. They, the national media, look out on the political landscape and see career oportunity and fame. The rest of the country has to live with the result. If everyone had gotten behind the war effort and stayed there we'd be done with this war, plain and simple. In the case of war, it's the stronger resolve that wins. Maybe some folks think these muslims will change their minds and stop killing us infidels but I don't think so. Have you heard many of them refute this?

EDITED: had to change D1ick to Richard to avoid the servors checker !! LOL They made a presidents name a bad word
                        Last edited by Your Old Dog; 10-03-2006, 09:40 AM.
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Has any leader of any nation been put under more microscopes and taken out of context as often as this guy by folks who cannot offer a viable alternative?
                          Sure. Every president since Ike.

Don't forget that Kennedy proudly proclaimed while in Berlin:

"I am a jelly donut!"

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                            Don't forget that Kennedy proudly proclaimed while in Berlin:
                            "I am a jelly donut!"
                            I know you meant that largely in gest, but Kennedy's speech, during the height of the Cold War, was spectacular. A million West Germans came to Berlin (which was deep inside Communist East Germany), to hear Kennedy's speech, and no one laughed at or misunderstood President Kennedy's words. In fact, the crowd roared with approval:

Berlin, 26 June 1963:
                            Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, all are not free.

When all are free, then we can look forward to that day when this city will be joined as one and this country and this great continent of Europe in a peaceful and hopeful globe.

When that day finally comes, as it will, the people of West Berlin can take sober satisfaction in the fact that they were in the front lines for almost two decades.

All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and, therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner".

German Myth 6
                            John F. Kennedy's Berlin Speech
                            German Misnomers, Myths and Mistakes

Did President Kennedy Say He Was a Jelly Doughnut?

http://german.about.com/library/blgermyth06.htm

There is a persistent claim that JFK's famous German phrase, "Ich bin ein Berliner," was a gaffe that translates as "I am a jelly doughnut." But when Kennedy made that statement in a West Berlin speech in 1963, his German audience understood exactly what his words meant: "I am a citizen of Berlin." They also understood that he was saying that he stood by them in their Cold War battle against the Berlin Wall and a divided Germany.

No one laughed at or misunderstood President Kennedy's words spoken in German. In fact, he had been provided help from translators who knew the language well. He wrote out the key phrase phonetically and practiced it before his speech in front of the Schأ¶neberg town hall in Berlin, and his words were warmly received. Yet this German myth has been perpetuated by teachers of German and other people who should know better. Although a "Berliner" is also a type of jelly doughnut, in the context used by JFK it could not have been misunderstood any more than if I told you "I am a danish" in English.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

It still means jelly donut, especially in Berlin. It isn't understood to mean that elsewhere because it is (was) a Berlin speciality. Most German speakers won't take it that way. Berliners will. It isn't so much because of the grammatical construction but because it was a local colloquialism that his translators were probably unaware of.

[add]

I asked a friend of mine in Germany this specific question when I was visiting him. He has lived and worked in Berlin and that is what he explained to me.
                              Last edited by Evan; 10-03-2006, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X