new /old lathe upgrade should I buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new /old lathe upgrade should I buy

I have sold my lathe a boxford 9inch read/southbend in USA basically and for no good reason I decided to go for another model. Actually that is not stricly correct I saw one of these lathes for sale and by coincidence a few months later talked to a guy quite by accident as we were discussing something completely different and he told me that he had bought one of the lathes in this download. A viceroy synchro it is a beauty and much more modern that mine he said it was the best lathe he has ever bought,so it got me going. I sold mine the guy comes to collect it in a few weeks and I have taken a shine to the synchro.The company which sold him his bought three of them from a college they had lain virtually as new and unused for a few years, and I will if all goes well as they still as we speak have just one left be buying an almost new lathe and this is not going to cost me the price of a new lathe in fact it is a good deal as I got a very fair price for my old one and won't be forking out a fortune to upgrade. If you read the write up on Tony's lathes it sounds like a good one so does anyone know of this lathe and have any comments before I fork out my brass for it speak up now please regards Alistair
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/viceroy/index.html
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Alistair,from what I've seen of that lathe,I know you won't be satisfied with it. I have a 10in Atlas that you would really like. By the way how do I get in touch with the people who have the lathe,and what would be shipping charges for a lathe like that?

Comment

George if you want to see some photos of it let me have your email address and I will let you have them.Not good enough for me eh!thanks for keeping me wise buddy.Alistair

Comment

Alistair,

What a canny Scot ye ar me mon! I think you'll like it. Is it as clean as this one ?

http://www.gandmtools.com/photos%20851-900/0853.html

I'll be betting it's cheaper though! Seriously I have a friend with one of these that he bought from a local dealer, usual ex-school machine that had hardly ever turned in it's life. Only thing he did was spend a fortune on replacing all the 'nickable' handles and lever ball ends.

Somewhere (probably next to the Biro planet!) is a planet where all the machine tool handles and knobs escape too. Does anyone think we can persuade NASA find it for us?

PS Polishing mops are splendid - making light work of the Atlas shaper parts! Thanks my friend.

RR

Comment

RR told you you would like them .Regards Alistair

Comment

Alistair, I know nothing about the Viceroy; however, having looked at Raglan's link it sure looks like a beauty. I've spent quite a bit of time over the months (years, now that I think about it) using the web to look at lathe sales in the U.K. It sure seems to me that you folks have much better pickings when it comes to good, used equipment than we do in the U.S. Perhaps I just haven't learned where to look in the U.S.

Comment

Guero try theseguys in the USA
              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2511842341
              they always seem to have good stuffregards Alistair

Comment

Working...
              X