OT: Sears screwed up but won’t take responsibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Sears screwed up but won’t take responsibility

How many other businesses will not pay for the shipping when they screw up and send the wrong parts? Is this really the industry standard? That’s what they told me. Not only would I have to pay to return it but they deducted the original shipping from my refund.

I ordered a 5â€‌ diameter pulley for my lawn tractor. They sent me a 17â€‌x17â€‌x30â€‌ box containing a huge bracket. Though only 6 lbs the return shipping for the oversize box came to $14.10 USPS. The packing slip said “Pulley V. Idlerâ€‌. I asked my wife, who knows nothing mechanical, if the bracket looked like a pulley. Even she said “No“.

After spending a lot of time on the phone and getting nowhere, I took the box to the store. The manager there agreed that I should not have to pay for Sears’ mistake. He shipped it back for me. So now I have been refunded the money for the part but not the original shipping from shipping the wrong part. I had to buy a similar pulley elsewhere and modify it so that I could cut my grass.

Sears no longer carries service parts for things they sell. Not even common stuff unless it is one of the few stores that has a repair center. You can’t even order the parts at Sears! You either have to order online or try to describe your part over the phone. I can imagine how that phone conversation might go:
    “I need a new round belt thing for my mower deck.â€‌
    “A what?â€‌
    “You know where the belt goes.â€‌
    “A pulley?â€‌
    “Ya, that’s it.â€‌
    “Which one?â€‌
    “The third one from the left by the wedge shape thing…I think.â€‌

Super Dave
    Rapid CNC
    Super Dave
    RapidtoCNC.com

Unfortunately, this is nothing new.
    I had similar experiences with Sears as long ago as 1980.
    I would never buy anything with moving parts from Sears.

Comment

If you paid for it with a credit card, I'd contact the card company and dispute the charge. I've had to do that one time (not with Sears, though), and they made things right for me.

Roger
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Yep, charge back is the answer when a company does stuff like that.

I've generally not had that problem when THEY (generic, not specifically Sears) screw up. They are treating you as though you ordered the wrong thing or something and took advantage of the 30 day return or something. In that case the policy makes sense, but not when they sent the wrong thing.
        Russ
        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Have not been to sears since I took my fathers lawn tractor back two days after he bought it because it wouldn't fit thru the gate or in the shed. He had given them the measurements before purchasing it and the salesman wrote it down on the bill that it would fit. Do they still have over the entry doors Customer Satisfaction Guarnteed. I pointed this out to the manager in a loud but civil voice so any body in a three block area could hear the statered to swarm like flys on fresh road kill to hear the conclusion of it the manegar decided what was better eat it or loose a whole lot more. But know you have to remember that Sears is now Kmart the original chinese built dealer and they parts dept is probably owned and run by a thrid party. Lots of luck. Find out who made it for Sears and order from thier parts dept.
          Last edited by PTSideshow; 10-17-2006, 10:30 PM.
          Glen
          Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
          I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
          All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

A long time ago I went into Sears Parts and ordered 2 # 2 Morse centers. Guy gave me an attude taking the order.

He came from the back with a package that weighed about 30 lbs. With the same attude he put it on the counter and said here.

Got the box home and two 8" grinding tables.

I would not have taken the box had he not had such an attude
            George from Conyers Ga.
            Remember
            The early bird gets the worm, BUT it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

That is the main reason for not to shop there.
              I have 4 large yellow envelopes in a kitchen cabinet labled
              New house fixtures (we had this place built in 1994)
              Power tools, Lawn and Garden and Appliances.
              Each has a owners manual/ leaflet with what ever part nos available from the supplier/manufacturer.

Comes in mighty handy when you have to order a replacement part.

Regards Graeme

Comment

Originally posted by George Seal
                A long time ago I went into Sears Parts and ordered 2 # 2 Morse centers. Guy gave me an attude taking the order.

He came from the back with a package that weighed about 30 lbs. With the same attude he put it on the counter and said here.

Got the box home and two 8" grinding tables.

I would not have taken the box had he not had such an attude

LMAO. Were you concerned that it might be something less valuable? I would have just taken a quick peek before walking off with it Great story.

Tess

Comment

I experienced the same problem after ordering tools through their catalog. I ordered a jumbo wrench set that arrived with a defect in the chrome. Two of the largest wrenches had approx. ten percent of the chrome missing. After calling, they told me to ship the whole set back. I asked about the cost of my shipping, was told I'd get reimbursed. Never happened. Did get the replacement wrench set? I paid by check. If I order again in the future, will do so by credit card only.
                  "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

Same thing here just recently, ordered a new dehumidifier fan motor, was locked up right out of the box, they said I had to pay return shipping, I said no way. After a few phone calls and several emails getting the same crap I contacted my CC company. A week later UPS picked up the motor so I canceled the charge dispute, presuming they were sending a replacement motor, unfortunately, I still have not heard back or received a new motor. Over a month so far.

Moral of the story, do not be to quick to cancel the charge dispute.

Comment

Boy I have a totally diffent story that occured just a few weeks ago.
                      Bought a Sears garbage disposal at the local store 4 years and 9 months ago.
                      Put it in myself.
                      Wife said the sink leaks..checked it out and the disposer had water leaking from the electric box (rotary seal gone)
                      Kept my manuals , so i looked it up and saw the date purchased...but NO receipt! Oh my, they will never believe me......
                      Called Sears Warrantee Hotline and gave the serial number,and in less than one minite, she said 'Why yes mr carlstedt, I see you bought it at xxx , on xxx and it is still under the 5 year warrantee. Hold on and our service department will replace it for you" then she switched me to a gal who took my address and they brought out a new one and THEY installed it...No Charge !

I was dumbfounded.. I felt like I was in a TV commercial.
                      Never had anything go so easy and it only took 2 days for the replacement !
                      Rich

Comment

Since about 1980, Sears has been on and off, hit or miss. I have a few of there things, because they are often the only game around. I do try to find out who actually manufactures the widget that Sears is selling. I have a few Crapsman tools and machines that need a little TLC before they will be "good to go" again. But if you are expecting to make "serious" money with "newer" stuff from Sears, than you have more hope and faith than I have. Sears parts has gotten "unreal" in more than one way lately!
                        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Well now that Sears merged with Kmart...I would expect a marked increase in both service and quality!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X