New Fixture Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fixture Idea

As ive posted previous fixture queries I now have a new idea. I wish to use hardinge collets with a square type holder but have five joined together somehow nest them so i can put five rods at a time in them. Then have a indexing device on the back of the collet closer that would let me index quickly by loosening and spring loaded detant back into a 180 degree position. This thing im making must be cheap and also fit differant diameter rods. 5/8 3/4 1 inch. With the collet blocks it would be a easy changeover. Whaddya think gentlemen any ideas how to nest it together. Thanx Mike

How about using 5 square collet blocks sandwished between two strong backs that can be clamped all together then weld a chunk at one end and another chunk at the other end with a screw thru it to provide clamping in the horizontal direction. Mount the jig on the table to machine across all five then flip the jig 180 to do the other side .

Comment

Is this for putting the flats on ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I'd cut 2 sets of aluminium plates with opposing vees in them, have them sprung loaded on sliding dowels, with some counterbored holes for cap screws strategically placed to close them up , and an end stop for the rods.

Get a fixed location point on the table to set it to,clamp the fixture, mill the flats, unclamp, flip the whole thing over and mill the second set of flats.

Just my twopennies worth.

Peter

Comment

hm

PETER THANX FOR THE REPLY AND TIME AND DRAWING. i HAD THAT IDEA IN MIND BUT...( oops typing brain fart) i ALSO wanted to mention to John that i thought of using 5 c collets so that they would be held securely. Also easy to change from 5/8... 3/4...and 1 inch diameter. BUT the procedure of tightening the collets from the very end would interfere with the rods that are at times 5 feet long. I am only machining small flats at the front of the chromed rods. Also the collets would hold them securely and not damage the chrome??? Interesting job for myself. If i can figure out how to tighten up the 5c collets without having the ends covered it would be good. Maybe a ring that threads onto the collet end and a wrench made up to tighten them up??? I havent looked at any 5c collet type fixtures in thirty years so cant remember whats what. Any ideas Sir Sohn??? Oh thanx guys for the input much appreciated. Mike

Comment

I saw that at a tool show in Milwaukee last year.
            This guy makes some stackable 5 c Blocks for gang tooling.
            had several variations and quick change methods. Looked really neat.
            I forgot the name. but it is a very small company and maybe he does it
            in his garage. They were Anodised blocks, and could be clamped together( 1,2,3,4,5 etc), or to a gang plate, or vised.I got a spec sheet, but gave it away
            Maybe an internet search for 5 C blocks will show it up.
            I think he was from Wisconsin or Michigan.
            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by madman
              BUT the procedure of tightening the collets from the very end would interfere with the rods that are at times 5 feet long. I am only machining small flats at the front of the chromed rods. Also the collets would hold them securely and not damage the chrome??? Interesting job for myself. If i can figure out how to tighten up the 5c collets without having the ends covered it would be good. Maybe a ring that threads onto the collet end and a wrench made up to tighten them up??? I

got to http://www.kbctools.com/can/main.cfm

search 'collet block'. the cheapo 58 dollar set has two closer, one screws on and then has a small lever & cam for final tightening, and the other is just a threaded ring (visible in the pic) ring has holes for use with a spanner but also has heavy knurls which catch very well on a large channel lock type adjustable.

Comment

I have had mixed success with the repeatability of the cheaper collet block sets. Several I have had have not been too well centered.

The other downside of collets is that they will require enough room in front of the fixture for removal.

I still strongly suggest exploring straddle milling the flats in one pass.

A V groove fixture of aluminum will accomodate all sizes involved and not mar the polished finish. The bottom half can be solidly attached to the mill table, and the top half can be clamped by bolts, maybe between every two positions. An air wrench will make quick work of clamping and unclamping.
                Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                X