Reamers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reamers

Where can I get custom sizes of reamers, I need .355 and .356. Maybe some others.

Jerry

If you don't have a lot of holes to ream, make "D bits" yourself out of drill rod and harden and temper them with a propane torch.

Comment

MSC www.mscdirect.com , Travers www.travers.com , and others sell decimal-size reamers in a host of sizes. Get a catalog (free) and see what they have.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Why not use an ajustable reamer?

Albert

Comment

I never thought about an adjustable reamer, but this is for use on 4140 steel, most likely hardened.

Jerry

Comment

How about metric reamers

9.00 mm (0.3543")

9.05 mm (0.3563")

Comment

I have just got some reamers from http://www.mscdirect.com/. I would recommend them. They where fast and had reasonable prices. My order came the next day regular ground.

Comment

Try Grand tool. Their catalog has much more than their website. They carry a lot of hard to find items.
                WWW.grandtool.com

Comment

I requested the catalog from Grand Tools, I need a bigger monitor some of the stuff that Grand, and MSC list on their website is too hard to read.

Jerry

Comment

That's because they just scanned in catalog pages. They have too many items to input one at a time. They will probably improve the website eventually.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jfsmith:
                      I never thought about an adjustable reamer, but this is for use on 4140 steel, most likely hardened.

Jerry
                      </font>
                      All the regular custom sized reamers that move up in thous are just HSS steel and will not do hardened steel. You will just wreck the reamer on it's first hole
                      Carbide tipped reamers are available but at a premium.
                      If your material is already hardened perhaps a relook at your problem is in order.

Not knowing your problem perhaps honing or lapping might work.
                      As Forrest has stated it's close to 9mm. If this is a firearm application how about looking at some of the gun trade tooling peoples wares ?

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Reamers can be re-sized fairly easily.Take a piece of brass about 1/2 thick and ream a hole in it.Cut a slot through to the hole.Chuck up reamer and spin it in reverse.Apply fine lapping compound to hole in brass piece.Use a clamp or drill and tap a hole to adjust size.CHECK DIA.FREQUENTLY.I have used this method to resize numerous reamers,taking off as little as .0005 and as much as .005.

Burnlast!!!!!!
                        (
                        ...the order of bringing about change
                        is the four boxes:
                        1.soap
                        2.ballot
                        3.jury
                        4.cartridge

Comment

Now THAT was a good trick, Burnlast. I'll remember that one when the time comes, I hope.

Comment

Is the 4140 steel heat treated or hardened? If its heat treated to about 54 RwC or less the HSS reamer should cut it. UDA. If its hardened (hit it w/a small rat tailed file to know for sure) then you are SOL. Sorta Outa Luck! Time to drag out the some type of lapping tool to finish the job.

Comment

LOL Burnlast. I didn't know anyone else knew that trick. My grandfather taught it to me many years ago, but he used hardwood blocks. It also improves the finish in the hole.

Comment

Working...
                              X