Suggestions for making NMTB tool holders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for making NMTB tool holders

The CNC lathe thread got me thinking as I'd love to have a CNC lathe for many reasons. From time to time I've used my CNC as a mini lathe with a lathe tool clamped to the table and this brought me to my current idea.

What if I where to rough machine some round bar down to the ID of the OD of my largest #30 endmill holder then place it in the endmill holder and use the CNC to cut the taper and flats as well as drill for the threaded part. Then I could indicate it into a 4-jaw on the lathe and cut the internal threads. Move to the mill and cut the slots for the drive tangs then install it in the CNC spindle and machine whatever end I need to hold various endmills and reamers.

Does any of this make any sense? What steel should I use? Will I need to put a grinder on the CNC table to finish grind the taper?

All of this is just the planning stage of course, I've got a lot of parts to finish on the CNC before I can play around making holders.

Tool Holders

Christain

Save your time and purchase the holders as they are difficult to get right and not all that expensive.
    I have a CNC mill and would not consider machining a tool holder.

JRW

Comment

JR,

It's not the expense that gets me it the availability, or I haven't looked very hard. I need more 1/4 holders, I've never seen a 5/16 holder and I need two. 1/2" and up seem easy to find, it's the smaller ones that get me.

Of course you make a valid point that I didn't think of at first, getting them right. The hole for the EM's on the store bought holders is very precise and may not be that easy to replicate, I assume they are ground?

Comment

Christian,
        I'm in the same boat but I want QC30 to ER32.
        I don't use EM holders as I find them too restrictive being limited to one size.

There has recently been a rake of NMTB30 to SA100 holders on ebay for not a lot of money.
        I pointed one of our UK user to them as he is standardised on SA100 collets.

I do have a stack of NMTB40's machined up with just the taper on, done on a CNC lathe and I have an old cut down 40 spindle that I can hold in the 4 jaw for odd holders.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
          Christian,

John

Did you convert that BT30/ER32 holder you had from me to QC30 OK?

While we're on that track, I'm on the lookout for a 50 taper to ER40 chuck

Tim
          Last edited by Timleech; 10-22-2006, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timleech
            John

Did you convert that BT30/ER32 holder you had from me to QC30 OK?

Tim
            Yes, not a problem, it was tough but an old tip reground with better rake got under the skin and licked it up.
            I have also done a Jacobs chuck holder I bought at Harrogate the same way.

Ketan at Arc Euro is looking at bringing a line of QC30 to ER32's in from China now he's found a good supplier. Waiting for a sample to arrive.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Ketan at Arc Euro is looking at bringing a line of QC30 to ER32's in from China now he's found a good supplier. Waiting for a sample to arrive.
              Get him to ask about QC30 to ER40

Tim

Comment

Sorry Tim,
                Can't see that happening as he max's out at ER32's
                He carries ER11, 16, 20, 25 and 32 and not many, if any, home shop guys run ER40's

Comment

Sorry Tim,
                  Can't see that happening as he max's out at ER32's
                  He carries ER11, 16, 20, 25 and 32 and not many, if any, home shop guys run ER40's
                  John

I appreciate that, there wouldn't be much market (at present) among his usual customers.
                  I do wonder, though, why ER32 (20mm capacity) seems to be the biggest size generally used or available with a 30 taper, when other collet styles on 30 taper go up to an inch or more, which would correspond to the ER40?

Tim

Comment

Christian,
                    I don't use EM holders as I find them too restrictive being limited to one size.

There has recently been a rake of NMTB30 to SA100 holders on ebay for not a lot of money.
                    I pointed one of our UK user to them as he is standardised on SA100 collets.

I do have a stack of NMTB40's machined up with just the taper on, done on a CNC lathe and I have an old cut down 40 spindle that I can hold in the 4 jaw for odd holders.

John,

I like to setup each job with it's own holders, crossing over only when the same tool is being used like a 4 flute carbide for example. I number all the holders and note that on my job sheets. Around here I'm the ATC and I'd just like to have more holders. I don't care for collets as they can slip on plunge cuts and that messes up the whole program. Another annoyance with collets is that it's harder to get the flood nozzles right as the collet nut is in the way. All of my store bought EM holders have a taper near the tool so there's clearance for the coolant stream.

Anyway you didn't answer my questions. What type of steel? Grinding? etc.

Comment

good morning.

Christian;

what about making some end mill adapters for larger holders?

i have a 50 taper mill and use adapters to fit the smaller end mills. i cannot take credit for this being an original idea because a friend has the original ones that i modeled mine after.

it may take a try or two to make them run concentric, but they will if you are careful. i made mine out of 1" drill rod O-1.

good luck.

peace.
                      billr.
                      ........i dremel. therefore i am..........................

Comment

buy them

Guys
                        I use the NMTB in my Boss B/P as well.
                        They run about $80.00 Canadian for an ER32, at KBC Tools Canada.
                        It is not worth the time etc to make these.
                        You can also get them from Kennametal and on ebay.See item # 7627954718.
                        The ones from KBC and on ebay are Bison and are very well made.
                        eddie
                        please visit my webpage:
                        http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

www.victornet.com
                          has a good price on 30 taper tooling,though I dont see 1/4 and 5/16- like has been said it might be easier to make a sleeve for a bigger sized hole.

Comment

oh , and here is 1/4 and 5/16

http://www.usshoptools.com/current_y...GS_215_219.pdf

ouch ouch on the price

Comment

Originally posted by motorworks
                              Guys
                              I use the NMTB in my Boss B/P as well.
                              They run about $80.00 Canadian for an ER32, at KBC Tools Canada.
                              It is not worth the time etc to make these.
                              You can also get them from Kennametal and on ebay.See item # 7627954718.
                              The ones from KBC and on ebay are Bison and are very well made.
                              eddie

I don't know, if I automate most of the machining using the CNC as a lathe anything over about $30 seems high priced to me. The trick of course will be getting the endmill hole right. I'm thinking a reamer chucked to the table would do it. Remember I'm thinking only to turn one end down to about 1.5" to fit in my largest holder then machine the taper and drill the hole for the threads, I'll then take this to the lathe and cut the threads. At this point I'll have a blank that I can machine anyway I like. First I'd drill then ream to size, then cut the OD. Cutting the taper is a simple X,Z movement and I can run the feed really slow for a nice finish. I'd probably make 20-30 of them so at $80 ea that's like $1600-2400 worth of tool holders, seems at least worth a try. My biggest concerns are whether or not the taper needs to be ground and getting the EM hole the right ID and concentric. Perhaps this would best be done with a spindle blank held in my lathe.

I can buy 1/2" holders for about $30-35 locally so the sleeve idea has some merit. Heck the smart money might be an MT to NMTB adapter to fit my big lathe so I could do the EM holes using the accurracy of the lathe spindle.

Comment

Working...
                              X