HSS what kind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HSS what kind?

I have to make a special tool for my CNC turning cemter. This will be a simple form tool. Simple means no intricate shapes just one offset step. I need HSS because carbide is not tough enough to withstand the interruptions that are incountered with this part. I have been trying to turn using indexable tools for a year now and there is not a grade on the market that will hold up and this is getting expensive. The material is t303 stainless investment casting. The part is a pump impellar and we are turning the outside of the impellar vanes. Would appreciate any suggestions about which kinds of HSS may be best for this application.

Thanks in advance
    CT

You can get HSS indexable inserts which are intended for doing interrupted cuts. I believe they also come in Cobalt, with choices of coating.

Albert

[This message has been edited by Rotate (edited 03-03-2003).]

Comment

Albert,
      Where? I have not seen these? That is probably the answer.

CT

Comment

Here's a place to try http://www.arwarnerco.com/index.htm

Comment

Chris

A. R. Warner can sell you some T-15 or CPM T-15 which should do the job with no problems. It is a bitch to grind without CBN though. But it does work great for interupted cuts and stainless.

Comment

Thanks guys,

Called and ordered them today should ship friday. Really appreciate the help

CT

Comment

I just started using T-15 and love it. I have been using it in many aplications in place of carbide and having much better results. I am however, just a home shop guy.

Comment

Working...
              X