Home shop high speed machining, WOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home shop high speed machining, WOW!

So I've got this friend who used to work for one of the local tool suppliers, he stops in last week to tell me he's gone to another company and would I be interested in trying some endmills he's selling. Being a good friend I said sure I'd try them but told him I really doubted the claims by the manufacturer, he tells me you break it and I'll replace it so I said fair enough. Well tonight I do the calculations and realize I don't have the HP to run the axial DOC the recommend so I figured I'd just run regular DOC of 0.100" for a 1/2 inch endmill and run the speeds they recommend. 3800 RPM no problem, my mill can do that. 38 IPM well my CNC only goes to 32 so I set the machine up and run it.

Running dry (no coolant or mist) like he told me I could I just made a part that took 55 minutes yesterday down to 15 today! What's more the slot was completely empty of chips, they just fly out in a gentle arc and the EM is still sharp!

Now I really want a faster machine! LOL

This probably comes as no surprise to those of you who've been around high speed machining centers but I was taken back by it, totally amazed. It was literally like a hot knife through butter.

Turns out the 4 flutes aren't 90 degrees apart, more like 80 and 100 degrees which aparently helps with chip removal.

rs911, what brand were the EM's? Is this carbide or HSS?
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

lynn,

Hanita Varimills, TiAIN coated carbide endmills. I just did a google search on them, website is www.hanita.com apparently a division of Kennametal.

To give you an idea of what I know believe these can do the recommended speeds for 1018 steel with a 1/2" EM are 3800rpm, 38ipm for 40 taper or weak fixturing and 4580 rpm, 46ipm for 50 taper spindles. This is for slotting with DOC equal to EM diameter, they suggest 20% higher feed rate for profiling. 500-600 SFM.

I wish I had the RPM and feedrate to fully use these in smaller sizes like 5/16" that I use all the time, I'd sure save a boat load of time.

Comment

Wow! That's some serious metal removal!

How far back did you stand when you ran it the first time?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
          Wow! That's some serious metal removal!

How far back did you stand when you ran it the first time?

Just ran a simple pocket mold, I upped my stepover from 0.250 to 0.400", increased feed from 8ipm to 30ipm and 32ipm for finish passes. Simple 8x8" plate with a 4x4" x 0.375" pocket, total time? 31 minutes! It only took about 6 minutes per side to face the plate 0.050 deep with a 0.400 stepover.

How far back did I stand? Far enough that the blue chips don't burn me! Seriously you need to stand at least 5' back to stay out of the chip arc. I used my mist nozzle with no mist just in case the pocket wanted to fill up with chips, no worries, they're all over the floor.

What really gets me is how quiet these EMs are, I've pushed regular carbides and even with coolant they howl on full with passes and are in general just noisy, these ones are about as loud as HSS on a manual mill with a light feed rate and small DOC.

Since I'm only a self taught hobbyiest I rarely endorse anything machining related but I'd readily endorse these after just the little bit of time I've played with them today. I can't wait to try a few of the other sizes.

Comment

I've had similar results, using a roughing cutter.

3/8", 1/2" deep in CRS, couldn't crank the dial fast enough.

This with a 1/4 HP motor..............

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

It doesn't suprise me,I learned years ago what modern technology has done for cutting tools.If Hannita is affiliated with Kennametal that would explain alot about the performance.About 13 years ago I was first exposed to inserts for the first time,until then everything was HSS or brazed points.Insert holders were more expensive then and trying to convince the boss to buy any was difficult too.

I got a hold of some used Kennametal holders and some KC850 inserts.Didn't know anything about them so I called Kennametal's applications department and asked what feeds and speeds.I went from 180fpm on carbide brazed points to 650fpm on those inserts.I chucked a piece of 4"hot rolled bar in the lathe set it for 620 rpm,.250" doc and .018"/rev feed and let her rip.It produced a blistering stream of blue maccaroni chips and a nearly mirror finish.More importantly a whole bunch of metal was removed in a flash.After that I was hooked.13 years later I seldom use HSS and brazed points,my latern posts and rockers gather dust only disturbed by the occasional odd job.

It will be interesting to see what comes next.I wonder just how far they can push current materials.

EM taps I find impressive,the way those things eat stainless hole after hole is nothing but neat.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I do believe this thread needs a Video!
                Im happy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by BillH
                  I do believe this thread needs a Video!
                  Im happy for you.

Tell ya what, I'll bring my video camera with me to the shop on Friday and take a video, I only wish my mill had could reach the recommended 38ipm feedrate as that would be even more impressive.

Where would I post it? youtube? I suppose I'll need an account.

Weird,

I felt that way when I got my big Polamco lathe and CA toolpost. I was used to light cuts even with carbide inserts due to lack of power and belt slippage on my Logan. I recently took 0.500" of the RADUIS of some 303 stainless using positive rake TNMG inserts. I actually had to put a spot weld on the stock to keep from pushing it into the chuck! I make solid rollers for our coating machine that are sent out to be engraved, they have to be one piece and it used to take me hours to cut 4.5" stock down to 4" with 1" shafts on each end.

I wish I'd know about cutters like these a year or so ago, could have saved a ton of time on some jobs I did.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    It doesn't suprise me,I learned years ago what modern technology has done for cutting tools.
                    If anything, that's an understatement - I used to run 1/2" endmills in 6061 at 7400RPM and 40 inch's a minute, with a .700 DOC. on a Haas VMC.

We would have run faster, but the machine only goes to 7400 My old boss has been eyeballing the new "Super Speed" machines, seeing dollar signs in that 12K RPM spindle - may finally approach proper speeds

HTRN
                    EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Christian...I'm speechless! I've never even seen metal removed that fast.
                      Wow...makes my junk seem pretty outdated.
                      Glad I don't have to compete against you...lol!
                      Russ
                      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                        Christian...I'm speechless! I've never even seen metal removed that fast.
                        Wow...makes my junk seem pretty outdated.
                        Glad I don't have to compete against you...lol!
                        Russ

Nah, these cutters make my stuff seem outdated. I don't even have max spindle speed for a 3/8" in soft steel or the feedrate for the 1/2", and that's before adding the suggested 20% for profile work! It's crazy cutting steel as fast as I can cut aluminum.

I wonder with an inverter on the spindle motor if I could safely run 1.5 times the current motor speed?

I'll definately take a video but it will take me a while to get it uploaded somewhere.

Comment

Christian, what kind of milling machine are you using?

Thanks,

Paul t.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT
                            Christian, what kind of milling machine are you using?

Thanks,

Paul t.

Brideport Boss 5 Rigid Ram CNC. 2HP spindle, max RPM 4500, max table feed (non rapid) 32 IPM. It's low on speed, HP, rigidity, and feedrate to fully use these endmills. I'm hoping an inverter drive and new controls will rectify the speed and feed issue a little. I might even go with a larger spindle motor but I'm not sure yet.

Comment

I have ran my bridgeport at 90 hz. vari Gearing tightend up all the way.. it shook the whole building. It was screaming. I was carving - cutting a wooden sign.

I didn't like the way it made me feel, I built a wood router into a tool mount. Used that once, it sits upside down in the rack now.

My inverter will go to 200hz.. but.. I know the motor can't cool, the fan does not get enough air.. A forced air would be what you need.. and torque falls off when you reach a certain speed. I don't have the book in front of me. (fans are designed for a specific gravity or density of air at a rpm, faster and they cavitate)

MY table on my converted machine will hit 120ipm.. but I hold the G00 back to about 70.. fastest I have had the table moving with uhmw was 60 with no loss in steps.
                              Last edited by Dawai; 10-27-2006, 12:21 PM.
                              Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

Working...
                              X