OT: So, what made this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: So, what made this?

I stepped outside one day this summer and looked up, which is the first thing I always do when going outside. I have seen many a contrail over the years. We live below one of the major flyways for traffic to Europe from Vancouver as well as Alaska bound traffic from the US. I have seen contrails from diverse aircraft of many types including such exotic ones as the XB-70 years ago.

I have not however seen an aircraft that blows smoke rings before. I didn't see this aircraft, it had already passed by. All that was visible was this contrail. I took this picture and it has not been doctored in any way.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Are you sure that's not a sky writing job that's been up long enough to be distorted by the wind? After looking at for awhile I almost see letter patterns.
    No matter where you go, there you are!

Hal C.

Comment

Looks like typical wing tip vortices along with some structure that is chaotic in nature. They are made visible by condensing the moisture in the air. The vortices cannot form a long tube of rotating air so they form clumps of rotating nodes. Because the vortices interact with the environment and with each other they can form these visual patterns.

Comment

sputter sputter sputter

It appears to me that the plane had a sparkplug wire come of and was doing a lot of missing, coughing and backfiring
        Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
        Oregon Coast

Comment

Yup skywriting.

If it's over your house it probably says

http : // www. google . com

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

What made it?

I'm guessing a camera made that image.

HTRN
            EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

That's definitely an interesting contrail. It would be great to have an expert chime in. I only know a few things about contrails. The air must be near the dew point. The air at the temperature could only hold in vapor form as much as it had. The aircraft caused a lowering of pressure and therefore temperature and caused the water vapor to condense into visible water droplets or fog. Why or how that pattern was the result is a great question. Was there something unusual about the aircraft? Was it a Rutan VariEze?
              I'd love to know. Do you know the exact time and place of that photograph?

Comment

Something is niggling in my (poor) memory about a new/recent design engine that produced smoke rings-----on Discovery/Learning ch/Science channel?? Maybe if this stays up a while, someone --with a beter memory-- will tell us about it......
                If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
                  Something is niggling in my (poor) memory about a new/recent design engine that produced smoke rings-----on Discovery/Learning ch/Science channel?? Maybe if this stays up a while, someone --with a beter memory-- will tell us about it......

Scramjet?

It looks an awful lot like skywriting that's been blown around. How far along the horizon was the trail?

Comment

I have seen vapor trails like that before.

But the pattern I see in the sky itself is whats really strange. Anybody else see that?
                    Gene

Comment

Little doubt in my mind. It's sandscript from sleeper cells. From what I can make out it appears to say "death to anyone who don't agree with us".
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Aurora, you just didn't have your shutter speed set fast enough. Seriously I have no idea if such an aircraft even exists outside of the minds of the believers but the building of Black Projects has not stopped. Sometimes they lead to dead ends and sometimes they don't. In this case I am guessing a test bed for an advanced form of pulse combustion engine
                        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

The contrail went across the entire sky. Here is the same contrail at the same time taken just to the left of the first shot. We don't have any intentional skywriters around here.

Comment

Well what I do know for sure is that Evans Digital Rebel camera has a big dust spot on the sensor that needs to be cleaned off.
                            Otherwise I too would assume it was sky writing thats been up there for awhile.
                            If it was a scram jet or other super fast flying aircraft, you would of heard a sonic boom.

Comment

Here, I put them together. The tree doesn't quite line up because I moved a bit between shots. Any "pattern" seen in the sky itself is just a result of the jpeg compression.

Last edited by Evan; 10-26-2006, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X