Magnetic welding ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic welding ground

I recently came across an item that elimnates pesky issues with welding for me. It is a magnetic ground with a swivel that welidng ground cable attaches to.

It is a JamesMorton Magnetic Ground clamp. It is obtainable through Northern Tool. I am sure it is available at other suppliers also.

http://www.NorthernTool.com

I've used those for years on heavy equipment, tanks and other things where there is no place to clamp the ground.
    You can usually just tack a piece of scrap to whatever you are welding to put the clamp on but sometimes the customer doesn't want to see that, you'd wreck a nice paint job or proceedure won't allow it.
    Of course you still have to have a bare spot for the magnet contact to bear on. The magnet doesn't care if there is paint there so you have to make sure it gets a proper contact.
    Those magnets also come in handy for dipping chips out of the mill or lathe.
    I put mine in an old can...lift out the chips, pull the magnet and drop the chips into the recycle barrel.
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Greatest thing since sliced bread far as I'm concerned. Of course you have to dust the scale and paint of a little place so you get good contact.

Comment

OT-Magnetic welding ground

Russ,

I use a heavy plastic bag, like bolts come in, around my magnetic indicator base to grab up chips. Just hold the "glob of stickers" over the trash can and flip the handle on the base. They all go in the can and they don't have to be removed from the base manually.
        Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

Dunno about stick or MIG, but TIG welding near a strong magnet will chase the arc all over the place.
          Thanks,
          RLD

Comment

"....a strong magnet will chase the arc all over the place."

Oh, boy!! Something to blame my wandering beads on.

Roger
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by RLD
              Dunno about stick or MIG, but TIG welding near a strong magnet will chase the arc all over the place.
              Thanks,
              RLD
              Good point! Smaller mig machines suffer the same fate when you weld too close to the magnet. With tig or mig you have to be able to get the magnet as far away as possible.
              I generally only use mine for stick or heavy flux core welding on heavy stuff.
              An example...a 980 loader bucket...all the steel is too thick to grip with an ordinary ground clamp.
              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by RLD
                Yep, it does it with MIG too -- just don't put the magnet near where the gun is going to be.

By the way Horror Freight carries these magnetic ground clamps too.
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                X