Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help needed to figure out what these two screws do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed to figure out what these two screws do?

This is the Rung Foo "basement mill" that I have.

The smaller diameter screw cap screw is very long winded. I backed about 2" of it out and thought the better of taking it out. It didn't hae a lot of resistance on it. I also can't figure out what the big one next to it does. I'm afraid to remove these for fear parts will drop inside.

thanks for any help/suggestions (except read the manual) you can offer.

ray............
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Unscrew them

Go on - take them all the way out, tell us what happens!

We're dying to know...

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Perhaps you just need a pair of these....

http://www.advanced-intelligence.com/goggles.html

Sorry....couldn't resist

Peter

Comment

That's a Wrong-Poo!

It's hard to tell by the parts diagram but it looks like those bolts hold part of the gear train in place. I suspect you may already have loose parts inside.

Comment

why yoo undoowng nut or bolt for no reson, why yoo doo dat? irriat!

Comment

The one with the square head is for when you want to take the gear case cover off. You run it in and it lifts the cover so you don't need to ruin a good wood chisel.

The large one is either the oil fill or detonator, I can't remember which but as soon as the ringing in my ears stops I'll get back.

No, j/k, that is what they are. The large one should have a vent hole in it as well.
            Len

Comment

Peter, you're right. Had this happed when I was a teenager I wouldn't have needed them! Had the girls been any more boxem there would be several spieces of houseplants smarter than me. It was really hard to concentrate with the ability I had!

Billyboy. Why, cause I got an infireing mind!

CCW, well if it's got loose parts it's running better than it has since I got it. I'm able to bust 5/8 cutter bits like they were candy canes

Thanks QSIMDO, get me your address I'm gonna get you on my Christmas Card list I appreciate it. I didn't know that the top of this unit comes off or I might have suspected the screw being used as a jack. I'll look for the small hole in the bigger one.

ray.........
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                CCW, well if it's got loose parts it's running better than it has since I got it. I'm able to bust 5/8 cutter bits like they were candy canes ...
                My hand drill can do that!

Comment

YOD, in the picture, you can see the small vent hole on the right side of the big nut.

Comment

Brydgesport!!!,, made in small town USA (usa in china that is )

I cant belive they named it that, its for that 1% of the extra market where somebody told somebody sometime that Bridgeports are "good machines" but didnt spell it out for them,,, wonder how many people baught hyundai's instead of a honda?

I think you have a loose nut on the long side of the quill handle,

Just kiddin --- sorry cant help on the screw thing --- unfamiliar with the machine, stop abusing your end mills old dawg, (unless of course thier talking back to you, then spank the holy daylights out of emm)...

Comment

The little one is a jack screw to lift the top plate. The big one is the oil filler hole.I have the same mill. The switch is made in of all places germany. Mine didn't last long. It was replaced with a drum switch. Eventually the run capacitor in your motor will fail. They are easy to replace.

Comment

from A.K.Boomer: Brydgesport!!!,, made in small town USA (usa in china that is )

I cant belive they named it that, its for that 1% of the extra market where somebody told somebody sometime that Bridgeports are "good machines" but didnt spell it out for them,,, wonder how many people baught hyundai's instead of a honda?

I think you have a loose nut on the long side of the quill handle,

Just kiddin --- sorry cant help on the screw thing --- unfamiliar with the machine, stop abusing your end mills old dawg, (unless of course thier talking back to you, then spank the holy daylights out of emm)...
                        You are the clear winner Boomer !! I wondered how long it would take someone to comment on that. I did it in Photoshop. Got the idea several months ago when Gypsy and Sir John were discussing "Bridgies". I felt left out. What the hell was I gonna do, talkabout my "Rungie" for the Rung Foo that it is?

Comment

Yeah, well my pitt bulldog prefers the tastes of REAL bridgeport cables when he is eating them out of the cabinet. He tore five cables in two, I still have a random quill start problem and activate the brake before touching the end mill to change it.

I also need to write 3m and discuss the nutritional effects of my dog eating my 3m paint mask. Ever seen a 300lb man chase the pitt puppy around the yard yellin his head off? Lex is the new pup.

I can deal with him eating what he should not, except the cat poop out of the litter box. I really detest that, he wants to kiss me in the face afterwards. HEY, I seen the gypsie a while back.. you can email him at [email protected]
                          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

I still have a random quill start problem and activate the brake before touching the end mill to change it.

David, I told you a long time ago to put a real e-stop on that thing, not a software e-stop. Dang, a random quill start!? That is not a good thing. I am building the control for my mill right now and one of the things it has is an e-stop that cuts the power to the motors and the spindle by actually shutting off the input AC to the power supplies. It does it by cutting the AC a few milliseconds after it starts dumping the filter caps for the steppers through a big 10 ohm resistor. This damps any ringing and prevents a hard shutoff of the drive power that might blow the drivers. Spindle power it cut off immediately. There are two e-stop big red buttons within easy reach. Both e-stop buttons have pilot lights that indicate when spindle power is on. During shutdown logic power is maintained.

In order to turn it back on you have to press a guarded push button that takes a 5 lb press to re-latch the main power relay.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan

It does it by cutting the AC a few milliseconds after it starts dumping the filter caps for the steppers through a big 10 ohm resistor. This damps any ringing and prevents a hard shutoff of the drive power that might blow the drivers.
                              Most driver problems are on surge at startup and not shutdown.
                              I do agree with what you are saying about e-stops and it's common sense, even law in some places.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X