My valve gear work so far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My valve gear work so far

Well, in Solid Works. This mechanical setup is indeed too complicated for Solid Works. Gives errors saying some parts are already well defined and cannot move. It gives that error to various parts and various times, never consistent. I know for a fact that its not the case. I guess when one part moves another that moves another and and moves another, its too many events in the chain I guess.

That is pretty complicated. How many hours do you have in it?
    Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

well lets see, 2 Fridays ago I tore my miniscus and haven't been able to walk since, so I've been on the computer nearly all those daylight hours... Ah this Thursday I have surgery and will be able to walk again, YAY!
      Yeh, so If I had to guess, I'd say 50 hours. Now thats just one assembly, that doesn't count my spent time working on a slip eccentric valve gear train, or the Hackworth valve gear train or the Stephenson valve gear train... Nor all the other parts I made for the locomotive. Maybe I should be studying instead... Yeh thats a good idea...

Comment

50 hrs. and the damn program won't articulate it due to glitches. Well crap. It looks good from here but the multiple angles on the top rod may prove a little too floppy. Nice job. Sorry about the knee tho.
        Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

Maybe it's not the software. Can you explain how this moves?

It appears that the slotted cam will hit the mounting bracket.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
            Maybe it's not the software. Can you explain how this moves?

It appears that the slotted cam will hit the mounting bracket.
            Your right, it will hit the bracket but collision detection is turned off on that part. Just another thing I need to update. Keep in mind the eccentric and eccentric rod are totally messed up as to throw and length. Im sick of guessing, I need some formulas.
            Anyhow, heres how the link moves.

Comment

I don't see how it will move. I don't know how the collision defeat works but the mechanism is locked up through-out in it's current configuration.

Comment

it moves, infact, it will rotate 360 degrees in its current config, right thru the bracket. I actually have collision detection off on everything, the radius rod rides inside that expansion link using a cam mate. sometimes I can get everything to move together. Other times it locks up.

Comment

It looks to me that the two outside brackets need to be fliped 180deg so the mounting feet are away from the swing arm. You may have to make the brackets taller so you have more clearance for the arm to swing.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Valve gear

What sort of loco are you building, and do you not have drawings? It also seems to be missing a combination lever and crosshead link witch are usualy present on a Walschart gear. I wanted to E-mail you, but could not. If I can help you I will be happy to.

[email protected]
                    Norm'
                    Member C.A.L.S. Balt'
                    If it's not broken, why do I keep trying to fix it....

Comment

Norman, I need to update my email on this forum. This is infact a locomotive based on the Dacre. There are free drawings to download of it, I simply changed everything over to Imperial sized stock and sizing. Dacre also uses slip eccentric valve gear. I wanted something I could reverse remotely via radio control, therefore the need for proper valve gear. You are correct theres a few items missing from this valve gear, it is a simplified Walschaert Valve Gear which is exactly what Roundhouse in the UK uses on many of their gauge 1 steam locomotives.
                      Guys, I realize the brackets need to be made longer, I will do that, it only takes a few seconds, however the length of those brackets are not causing the crashing problems when I go to simulate the physics.

Comment

Valve gear design

BillH

There is an article on Valve gear design using a hand calculator in the April 1981 Live Steam. If you would like a look at it, I can copy it and mail it to you if you will email me with your snail mail address. Spamblocker will stop your email, so mention HSM in the subject line so I can watch for it and get it out of spam. You can email me at [email protected]
                        I think the article would help you find some dimensions to get you off to a better start with your cad program.
                        Jim

Comment

This animation has made the entire process perfectly clear for me. Very ambitious project you have there, Bill.

http://home.new.rr.com/trumpetb/loco/rodsr.html

Comment

Bill, if you haven't seen this, it's a great collection of different valve gears, all animated.

http://www.tcsn.net/charlied/
                            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                            X