Source for small rack & spur gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for small rack & spur gear?

>>>Edit only 3-4 hrs after posting----I've got a couple sources already lined up...aint this forum wunnerful!!<<<< Bill

Got a little project I'm kicking around that would need 4-6in of small rack and gear. Searches turn up LOTS of stuff---3-6ft strips,- plastic, -& lotsa dollars, way more than I need! I seem to remember a scientific? surplus? site that had made-up take-offs out of machinery at reasonable prices. Off microscope? telescope? something like that.

Sound familiar to anybody---know of a source?
    Last edited by Bill Pace; 11-07-2006, 10:03 AM.
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Bill
    In general the type of thing you are describing can be found at an Industrial Surplus outlet. I do not know where you are located, but if you are near central Illinois, I can recommend A-Z Industrial Surplus in North Pekin, Illinois. If that won't work for you, try similar types of things in your local area. My source is generally pretty cheap, but it will involve you actually visiting the place in person, and searching through lots of "stuff" to see what might work for you. Not an altogether unpleasant experience! My personal problem is that once I'm there, I am never able to leave the place without feeling that the thing or things I need are definitely there if only I knew in which box or bin to look! Good luck!
    Last edited by Ed Tipton; 11-07-2006, 06:27 AM.
    There is no shortage of experts, the trick is knowing which one to listen to!

Comment

Bill,
      I have some small steel racks and matching gears in a junk drawer I would give you for the cost of shipping. If you are interested send me a e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you a photo and size measurements.
      Hal

Comment

McMaster-Carr has small racks and spurs to match,down to 48dp IIRC.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Bill, have you tried: (http://www.smallparts.com/?090)

Comment

try www.sdp-si.com too

Is plastic okay? Quick search found this:

They have metal too. If 32 pitch works then your local hobby shop has r/c car pinions in 32 and 48 pitch for about $5 each.

Part Number A 1N12-N32
            Unit Inch
            Diametral Pitch 32
            Pressure Angle 14.5آ°
            Material Nylon 101
            Quality Class Commercial
            Stock Length 12
            Face Width 0.1875"
            Height 0.1875"
            Pitch Height 0.1563"

Price Information
            Quantity Price
            1 to 24 $2.85
            25 to 99 $2.39
            100 to 249 $2.04
            Higher quantities
            Availability In Stock
            Sell Unit Each

Comment

Ed, I dont have anything like that in this area (N. La.) -- might be for the best, I'd prolly be there tooo much!!

Have contacted Hal about his in the junk drawer, maybe that'll work out.

Cecil, somehow I missed Small parts in my searches (and I've even got a catalog) and they have what I can use and at an affordable price for a smaller pieces. So if Hals dont work, I'll go with them

Hit, Had ckd the Stock drive stuff and wasnt coming up with anything---plastics wont work.

So, guys----after only 3-4hrs, it appears I have my quest solved...aint these forums wunnerful!!!

Thanks mucho
              Bill
              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Gear/rack

Sir,

Here are some possibilities:

Allied Devices, Baldwin NY (526)223-9100

W. M. Berg Inc, East Rockaway NY, 1800-232-BERG

PIC Design, Middlebury, CT, 1800-243-6125

I have used products from all of these Co's. They make fine pitch up to 96dp
                and rack as well.

Regards,
                Jack C.

Comment

http://www.smallparts.com/

Comment

Working...
                  X