My dog is ill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My dog is ill

Over the last few weeks my dog takes a funny turn goes wobbly then seems as if he's having a fit of sorts.The trouble is it only lasts a few minutes then he is fine .He looks worried by it but then he's fine so anyway what could it be if it was his heart then it would last for longer.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Alistair,

Take him to the vets and get him checked out,might be just old age or the start of something a bit more serious.

Allan

Comment

Epilepsy is just as common in dogs as in people. It can be treated with phenobarbital and is cheap and effective. The dogs like it.

My beardog has epilepsy and phenobarb has the effect of making her a bit more mellow which is a good thing. If we are late in giving her a dose she will come into the living room and start to turn and stare at her tail. If we don't pay attention she will start snapping at it. If we still ignore her she will start whirling in a circle while snapping at her tail.

I am pretty sure she is trying to tell us she wants her drugs and she wants them NOW. She is making the point that if she doesn't get her drugs now bad things might happen.

Your description sounds like a petite mal siezure which is the most common type.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

My dog has been epileptic since a pup. The first couple of times it happened were pretty wild! A veternarian could prescribe something (phenolbarbitol?) if its a good size dog--otherwise its tough to split the pill small enough for a consistent/proper dosage. Might be something to check out...

Comment

My dog has siezures also. He is a Border Collie, Healer, Blue Tick Hound mix. My vet said it is commion for high energy dogs. e would watch him goofing around in the yard or house, then it was like he would just short ciruit. The vet had us put him on phenolbarbatol. He got fat because of the drugs and was given a new nickname: The Round Hound; but no more siezures.

Good luck.

Comment

My Dog is ill

Alistair,
            Five months ago I had to say Goodbye to my 15 year old Border Terrier. Having said that should convince you that you have a duty to your pet to give it the devotion that it has given to you. As Allan- and I would expect many others will confirm- get the poor wee thing to the vet as quickly as possible.

You may be luckier than me.
            I hope that you are

Norm

Comment

I lived down here in Naples for 6 months back in 1999 and the neighbors dog hated my guts, just a black lab, didn't like me, don't know why. Well this year, being down here again, the neighbors dog comes over, she is now much older and grey. She walks up to me and looks at me like she recognizes me but cant seam to remember who I am, and she just walks away. The next day she looks at me and starts to bark, she remembered me now. Well Im tired of this crap, this racist dog who does not like me for no apparent reason, so I decided that I will give her some food to show good will that Im not this evil person she thinks I am.
              Well I hold out some food for her and she looks at me in disbelief, barking, not sure what to make of it. Bottom line is that she wouldn't come near me, so I placed the bowl on the ground and went inside. She never ate the food.
              And you know what? She hasn't been around since, havent heard her barking. We all think she died. Perhaps my good will gave her such a shock it gave her a heart attack and keeled over. Am I an evil person for thinking this is funny?

Comment

I would be quite pissed at anyone that tried to give my dog food without my permission. They are taught to ignore anything that they haven't been explicitly given by us. This especially applies to anything found outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                  I would be quite pissed at anyone that tried to give my dog food without my permission. They are taught to ignore anything that they haven't been explicitly given by us. This especially applies to anything found outside.
                  Can't blame you, the neighbors are well aware of it and my uncle been doing it forever. He is a tree hugger.

Comment

Taking the dog to the vet ( my neighbour)is not a problem as he is insured fully for all meds ops etc etc etc but if I take hime when he is ok what will that prove unless a blood test will show up anything Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                      Your description sounds like a petite mal siezure which is the most common type.
                      I was having upper lip quiver for some time. Googled upper lip quiver and came across an article about how artifical sweetners can cause this. I had just started using artifical sweetners when doctors told me I was glucose intolerant (diabetic). I stopped the artificial sweetners and the lip quiver quit after about a week.

Any chance you're giving your dog sweetners at all? Hope your pup is feeling well soon, I know what they can come to mean to some of us. My moniker, your old dog is homage to the best friend I ever had, a big black lab named Phreddy.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

He usually eats what we cook so if we cook chicken he gets a leg with his biscuits etc and if we cook beef he gets that with his filler stuff. He does pretty good I am not great lover of tinned food for dogs you never know what they put in it.no sweeteners at all although I take them in my tea.he's a smasher largest king charles I ever sawhere he is when I was building my woodshop Alistair

Comment

How often does the animal have these fits Alistair?

Comment

Is he still pulling so hard on his lead,that it leads him to almost cut his head off.

That cant be any good for him ...probably cutting the blood supply to his head ....god only knows what damage this has done to him over the period of his life .

All the best..mark

Comment

Take him to the Vet Alistair. It might be a heart problem if he has not had similar symptoms in the past. They say any condition that does not go away after a few days need to be checked by a doctor.
                              DavidH.
                              DH

Comment

Working...
                              X