Milling Vise Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling Vise Idea

I thought about drilling holes in my milling vise and taping the holes for 3/8 bolts, for use with my clamp down arrangements.

Anyone ever do this? Any other ideas or advice.

Jerry

it make it easy i have a 1" x4" x 6" block that has holes taped in it with a small v groove milled in it and holes tapped of to the side for your clamping tools. simply clamp it in the vice.if you need super tolerence just make a light truing pass on the v groove, and it will be as strait as its ever going to be.
    i made one for every shop iv ever worked in.
    its a great little fixture for putting woodruff keys in small shafts with steps turned in it.(that you cant hold in a vice)
    i have seen taps busted off in milling vices and realy wonder what the hell are they thinging or smoking!
    my kurt vice it hardend 55 rc. might be easy to drill but tapping might be rough.
    if you got a big job running hell yea tap the vice but a fixture block is a cheap home made tool you will use again and again tap all the holes you want in it,weld on it, mill and drill extra off it to fit anything.
    mill vises with holes drilled in them piss me off, seen one break in half it had so many holes.
    i hope you just mill a handy little fixture that you will use time and time again over the years and save your vice from the cutter.
    i can draw a print it you want good luck, be safe and have fun.
    mike.

Comment

Most of my fixturing on the mill is with t-slot nuts and lengths of threaded rod, also some 1/2x1 and 1x1 steel bar drilled to fit the spacing of the t-slots. I also use a piece of heavy channel, 2x2,or 2x1, which is milled flat and square, (as are the steel bars) set up to fit across the table at 90 deg., and holes spaced for bolting to the t-slot nuts. This piece is built kind of like a drafting square, it sets against the side of the table, and the channel piece goes across the table at 90 deg. My most used one is the 2"wide x 1" high. I use clamps to hold material to this, and also have some threaded holes in it. This setup essentially becomes a mill vice, and the jaws are flush with the table. I get the best accuracy from this setup, it's my favored mounting system. Maybe I'm too cheap to buy an accurate and rugged mill vice, but if I had one, I wouldn't drill holes in it.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Tattoomike -

Thanks for the 1x4x6 block idea - simple and smart!

darryl -

Thanks for your drafting square thought. I've been thinking of making something like that to square up the Rudy Kouhoupt vise I just finished when I clamp it to the mill table. Years ago the vise I used had a couple of lugs on the bottom that fit snugly into the Tee slots, and served to position the vise pretty well.

------------------

Comment

tattoomike68
          I would be very interested in a print/plan.
          I have thought about your idea but need ideas.
          Larry

Comment

My Yuasha vice has one 1/2-13 hole drilled and tapped in the stationary jaw block, not the removable jaw but the block. I think this was original, not for sure, vice came with my mill used.

Handy once in a while. It's your vise, do what you want, but I wouldn't get carried away. I wouldn't want to put any holes in the movable jaw, would have a tendency to lift it, don't want that.

Comment

Tattoomike68

Possibly you put put your sketch for the block on the board.

------------------
              John B
              John B

Comment

stupid geocitys web server wont let me link it to a message board, any other picture posting sights you know of and ill upload it.

[This message has been edited by tattoomike68 (edited 03-03-2003).]

Comment

Says page not found.......I'd like to see it too.

....Mike, just curious, are you a tattooer, or a collector?

John

Comment

I'm gonna give this a try but don't know if it will work

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//Fo...ML/002223.html

------------------
                    John B
                    John B

Comment

Maybe this will get it! Bingo! See even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/LinkPhoto?GUID=23932ca9-12b4-2e0f-20a5-4f6be06f7067&s ize=lg

------------------
                      John B

[This message has been edited by jr45acp (edited 03-03-2003).]
                      John B

Comment

tattoomike and jr45acp;

thanks both for the idea and making the link work. you guys did good.

it always amazes me that the 'simple way' to do things is often the best and that it even more often eludes me. i think it must be that we look at these catalogs full of cool [and expensive] stuff and that influences our thinking. [or at least mine.] kind of like when you use a calculator to find 10% of 10.

thanks also for making me laugh [once more] at myself.
                        bill
                        ........i dremel. therefore i am..........................

Comment

Many thanks for the image, I am working from here to develop something usable for me.

Again thanks,

Jerry

Comment

I took one of those 4 inch drill press vises, drilled two holes and then taped the holes to 3/8 inch for my smaller clamp set. So far it works well.

Jerry

Comment

for jr45acp....."GREAT IDEA FOR THE VISE. Took some doing to get the pictire to come up but it was well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                              X