Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it matter what size diamond you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it matter what size diamond you buy?

If you want to turn a heart of stone to a nice clean surface for sharpening cutters does it really matter what size you buy? Looking in the Enco site after I had already ordered mine I note they have size reccomendations. I bought a 1 1/2 carat only cause that's the kinda guy I am, and it was only $15.00 or something like that. I wasn't expecting the Hope Diamond but the one I got is really ugly and not very pointed. Is that how they all look?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

We are talking dressing diamond and not a diamond for your sweety aren't we? The dressing diamonds are crude looking. Most the ones I have and have seen don't even look like a diamond. 1.5 carat is pretty big. Are you sure that is how big it is. 1.5 carat may be about 5/16" in diameter. Most I have seen are about 1/16" to 1/8". I have one dresser that has 5 diamonds in a circle. It sure eats a wheel up fast. Single point dressers are the best for getting a true face on a wheel.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Dressers don't need sharp points. Sometimes they do have a point if the crystal is just right but it isn't necessary.

On the other hand, I have never seen any point to cross dressers.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Wheel Doctor

I use one of these.
        http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind...=270_1950_2000

Seems to work well. You need to wear a mask for the dust and cover everything nearby.

Rgds
        Michael

Australia

Comment

Yeah, them cross dressers are a weird thing to be sure.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Does it matter what size diamond you buy?

It depends on what you expect to get in return for it.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I bought this for the tool grinder I got from harbor freight but will use it on my other grinders as well. Guess I'll make a mount for it to slide into on the grinders table.
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

This thread might be of some interest to you if you have the same HF Tool Grinder.

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/bbs...f+tool+grinder

Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe, I do have the same grinder and I saved those pictures off. I was hoping I wouldn't need something like that but I guess it will do a better job then my delicate paws. Thanks for digging up the thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X