Slicing natural rubber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slicing natural rubber?

How to slice a natural rubber blanket 3 inch thick. The blanket is 72 in. large by 14 ft. long. I want to cut it in small blocks to clean abrasives. Any better idea to use it is also welcome. Thanks

Rubber

I have tried this before, and it is not easy to do.
    I found that a razor works OK.
    Or use a band saw and soapy water as a lubricant,
    If you want a hole in it a twist drill dose not work,
    I had to use a 1/2" drill to make a 1/4" hole.
    Use a forster bit, which is normally used in
    woodworking. Again use soapy water lube.
    Good luck.

Comment

"How to slice a natural rubber blanket 3 inch thick. The blanket is 72 in. large by 14 ft. long."

There is nothing that will slice this. You have to use it as is.
      Gene

Comment

Around here right now I would just leave it outside at -10. Once well frozen a circular saw should do.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

A friend had a steelrule die made, but it was for rubber less than an inch thick. I'm not sure it could be used for something thicker.

Comment

We used to use a length of music wire between two pieces of broom handle like a garrot to slab rubber to feed extruders or grinders.

Effective, but not terribly accurate.
            Jim H.

Comment

You'll need a mask

Oxy acetylene?

Comment

I was called in to troubleshoot a saw used to cut various types of foam rubber into sheets. The saw had a horizontal bandsaw blade that had no teeth - just the band of steel that was continuously sharpened to a murderously sharp edge. The "bun" of foam rubber, 3' x 8' x about 2' thick, was held on a table that ran under the blade, slicing off a layer. After returning the table, the blade was indexed down a preset value and another layer sliced off. Effortlessly.
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Slicing rubber

Just a few thoughts. Back in the "Good Old Days" (40's and 50's) tires were regrooved using a hot U shaped cutter clamped to a heavy high wattage electric soldering iron for heat. This cutter sliced through tire rubber like a hot knife through butter and left nice straight edges.

You might be able to rig a hot blade cutter using a length of band saw blade sharpened to a knife edge and heated by passing current through it with a battery or battery charger - similar to the hot wire cutters used by florists but heavier built. Sort of a hot blade saw. If you try something similar be sure to use low voltage for heating - not straight line power. You will probably have to keep tension on the blade to keep it from bending and wandering.

At some time in the past I have seen bandsaw blades with a knife edge instead of saw teeth. (McMaster lists scalloped and V tooth bandsaw bladeswith rubber slicing noted as a possible use). One of these with soap lubricant might work.

Good Luck.

Comment

I don't think running it through a bandsaw is a viable option. According to my calculations the sheet weighs around 1/2 ton.

Comment

Portable band saw?

Knife die blades will cut some rubber thicknesses.

Punch rubber, don't drill it.

Leather punch style.

Can also be punched with a press.

Comment

Rubber knife and plenty of water, water lubricates the cut and helps the knife move along. A rubber knife is a straight bladed knife with a wood handle, the blade is a little thicker than a kitchen knife for example. Water is the secret.

Comment

Thanks to all.
                          For now my wife serrated bread knife modified to fit my sawzall with runnining water do a nice job. Yes I had to replace it with a new one before she discover the trick. lol

Comment

Do you mind me asking how you came to have a 1/2 ton sheet of rubber lying about?

Comment

I used a electric fillet knife with dish detergent as lube. It was not hard at all to do.
                              Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

Working...
                              X